Thoughts on today's find - Large (40"), Round Mirror w/Deco(?) Nude Scene Around it?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Sep 29, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this beautiful mirror (I know it was hard to get a good photo with flash - every angle I used lit up a different part of it instead of all of it (there's at least 1 without the flash - I will get one with it outside in sun but this thing is heavy!) at a friend's thrift store & paid $75 for it because it had just came in & I had first chance at it.
    But at home I noticed there is no name or maker's mark on the back & as far as I can tell on the front!
    Can anyone tell who made this? (please don't let it be homemade!)
    What is the style? / What should I call it when listing it? Deco? Surreal? Art Nouveau?
    It's the 3 B's - Big, Beautiful & a heavy Bugger!
    Thanks in advance for any help with it.

FURNITURE MIRROR ROUND DECO 1AA.JPG FURNITURE MIRROR ROUND DECO 8AA.JPG FURNITURE MIRROR ROUND DECO 8AAAA.JPG FURNITURE MIRROR ROUND DECO 8AAA.JPG FURNITURE MIRROR ROUND DECO 9AA.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I don't think that's old. But it does appear to be inspired by the sculptures of the Modernist artist Brancusi. Here's a version of his 'Sleeping Muse.'

Debora

170-17.2-Brancusi_MuseEndormie-Feldman.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

1980s or later, from the construction if not the design. No idea whodunnit, but if you like it and want to hang it have at!

Draft saved Draft deleted