Featured THOUGHTS/VALUE OF A 1950's - 1960's AUDITION 12 STRING GUITAR MADE IN JAPAN (WAS WOOLWORTH BRAND?!)

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Apr 20, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this beautiful mint condition circa 1950's - 1960's 12 string guitar made by audition at a yard sale this morning. When I saw the 12 strings, condition & the Made in Japan I bought it for the $100 asking price with no questions.
    But when I got home & tried to research it I didn't find much on the 12 string - but I did find that Accordion was made for Woolworths?!

The wood is stunning (it's nicer than my phone camera makes it look) - any info on who made it in Japan? - It seems to be rare, does it have any value?
    Thanks!

MUSIC GUITAR ACORDIAN 12 STRING 1AA.jpg MUSIC GUITAR ACORDIAN 12 STRING 2AA RESIZED.jpg MUSIC GUITAR ACORDIAN 12 STRING 3AA RESIZED.jpg MUSIC GUITAR ACORDIAN 12 STRING 4AA RESIZED.jpg MUSIC GUITAR ACORDIAN 12 STRING 4BAA RESIZED.jpg MUSIC GUITAR ACORDIAN 12 STRING 4CAAAA RESIZED.jpg MUSIC GUITAR ACORDIAN 12 STRING 5A_A.jpg MUSIC GUITAR ACORDIAN 12 STRING 5AA.jpg

2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Funy, here's one on youtube

Published on Feb 24, 2012
    A great inexpensive Blues guitar, if you can find one.
    Sold in Canada and the UK by Woolworth, these Audition guitars were made in Japan by Tiesco from 1958 - 1972.
    This guitar has so much character and is fun to play, could definately use an upgrade to the tuners as the originals are a little sticky, but once they're set they hold. The body has some minor warping as well, but that just adds to the sound.
    A perfect guitar if you dig imperfections that create a unique sound but don't destroy the playing and after 45 some odd years every one of these will be a little different.
    Rating: 9/10 if you get one at a good price.

3. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

still...it's lovely !!!!
    & u were right to take a chance on it !!

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

$100 for a 12-string is doing good no matter what.

6. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

They can be decent instruments. You’ll see the same basic guitars with a variety of different brand names on them as they were made for many different retailers for our market. Maybe try searching Teisco or Matsumoku, possibly Fujigen but I doubt it.
    A lot of great music was made on these humble instruments.

anundverkaufen likes this.
  7. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

Also not 50’s, probably late 60’s or 70’s.

8. EddieG

EddieG Active Member

9. Mixdenny

Mixdenny Active Member

Looking at the many photos online and none seem to have this type of wood. And looking at the inside where the label is, it seems to be unremarkable mahogany. Yet the back and sides look like zebra wood. Could it be faux painted? Dennis

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the back is cut from the same board..2 opposite pieces....who could paint that ?

11. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Laminate...thin layers glued together..outer later is the nice bookmatched veneer.

all_fakes likes this.
  12. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Yes, laminated.....think plywood, nice on one side, ordinary on the other. You may be able to tell whether the top is also laminated by looking at the edge of the soundhole. It looks pretty well-made, and let's assume the action is OK, and it plays OK. If so, and the top is laminated, I'd think $100 is pushing it. If the top is solid wood - spruce, $100 is a reasonable value, maybe a bit more.
    A great many 12-strings of this quality are going to show significant warping of the neck, and if that is the case, it is probably not worth repairing, though you could ask a luthier for an opinion.
    With guitars, uncommon does not necessarily mean rare, and the online documentation for Korean and Japanese makers is scarce. There are some reference books that list most such makers, however, and include some indication of value.

aaroncab and i need help like this.
  13. journeymagazine

This Aria 9402 is the 2nd one I got from same sale - also priced at $100 - it's also from Japan - better name = better value?
    PS - I also got this vintage Ibanez electric guitar + (!) a Fender amp for only $50 because it has a cigarette burn on the front!
    Thanks again for the info (even though I thought I'd scored a home run with a mint 12 string from the 60's!)

MUSIC GUITAR ARIA JAPAN 1AA.JPG MUSIC GUITAR ARIA JAPAN 4AAA.JPG MUSIC GUITAR ARIA JAPAN 5AA.JPG MUSIC GUITAR IBANEZ ELECTRIC GUITAR 1AA trsized.JPG MUSIC GUITAR IBANEZ ELECTRIC GUITAR 2AA resized.JPG MUSIC GUITAR IBANEZ ELECTRIC GUITAR 3AA  resized.JPG

komokwa likes this.
  14. journeymagazine

Sorry 1 more question - can anyone tell me year & country the Ibaez is from?
    Thank you

Draft saved Draft deleted