Three Figurines, Marked Foreign, German, Japanese or other?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ValerieK, Jun 24, 2022.

1. ValerieK

ValerieK Well-Known Member

I am hoping someone will recognise these musician figurines which came in a job lot recently. They are about 7 inches tall, and very light. They are all stamped "FOREIGN" underneath which here in the UK usually means they came from Germany or Japan between the wars. I think probably German but there is a rather oriental look to the faces, and they could also be Italian, so I'm not completely sure. I haven't been able to find any similar images online but I'm probably not using the right search terms! I'm hoping that someone will have seen them before, or their grandmother had some . . . Thoughts please! They are incredibly sad looking, rather depressing! Band - 1.jpeg Band - 2.jpeg Band - 3.jpeg Band - 4.jpeg Band - 5.jpeg Band - 7.jpeg

Attached Files:

judy, Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id guess Italian.

janetpjohn and judy like this.
  3. ValerieK

ValerieK Well-Known Member

Yes, thank you, I am tending towards Italian as well. German ceramics were definitely marked Foreign between the wars, Japanese items were also sometimes marked Foreign but I'm not sure why, they were apparently on the western side in WWI (although against China), but I think the faces are quite Japanese, so perhaps just after WWII, rather than using "Occupied Japan". But the costumes and general style look Italian! I have just found a forum on which an Italian expert confirms that Italian ceramics were sometimes marked Foreign, although he didn't know exactly when, and no-one seems to know for certain. There were other Italian figurines in my job lot, so it seems the most likely. I am hoping someone can confirm that identification so I can sell them properly described, and not just "Foreign". I wonder why they are so sad?

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted