Featured Three finds from the scrap pile!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Dec 13, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Pickings are slim at the moment but I found these little bits to interest me.

The glass flower necklace is marked Czechoslovakia on the split ring, it’s filthy and going to be a witch to clean and repair.

The little tooth brooch tests as gold but not marked. May be heavily plated. It has had a later safety chain soldered on so there may be a mark under it. The buckle detail looks Victorian or am I way off?

The ladybird leaf brooch is a nice little find from a charity shop. I think it is attributable to Charles Horner although it’s only marked sterling on one stem and an indistinguishable mark on the pin. Sadly missing a stem but I still like it.and it’s not too noticeable.
    Thanks for looking :)
    E3176AF2-6AD6-438E-AC41-F8F572AA560A.jpeg 8B33B55F-4D38-47BE-BDF3-A768ECDA8FA3.jpeg 788561F7-6824-43E2-B240-7141D1E25BD6.jpeg A8E29539-E7C5-47B9-8799-998BCAAECFD8.jpeg 41836A8A-56E4-48BE-B3CA-EDC78DE5AE48.jpeg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Glass necklace: make a pad of kitchen towel, put necklace bits on well spread out, spray with window cleaner. Leave it a bit, then gently rinse off, that'll get the crap off. It's 20s/30s.

Your toofs are late 19th or a bit earlier. Pig to sell, as they're protected, might be tiger. Gold for sure.

I'm unconvinced the nice lady bird is Horner. Those twig bundles are just not the style. Back isn't right either. it almost looks Mexican, or South American. Ummmm. @Any Jewelry - what do you reckon?

Bronwen, Any Jewelry and cxgirl like this.
  3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thanks OBB.
    Is it any particular type of window cleaner?. I not seen the thread wrapped wire before. It must have been highly labour intensive.
    Poor tiger. Good that it’s probably gold though.
    The leaf brooch I was going by this website but misinformation on the internet can be spread so easily!. Forgot to say it’s marked sterling on one stem.
    https://www.antiques-atlas.com/antique/charles_horner_leaf_brooch_chester_1946/as470a317

Bronwen, Any Jewelry and cxgirl like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

The blue spray stuff. Brain has lost the name. If the thread is fabric, then maybe do it with a cotton bud, although it ought not to hurt it.

That's interesting on the leaf brooch. I wish they'd shown the hallmark!

And yes, poor stripy cat. :(

5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Windex?

Bronwen, Darkwing Manor and KSW like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

39BC4839-7918-4540-83F7-493C64B2081D.jpeg This is photo 3 from KSWs link.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  7. i need help

8. pixieforpapa

pixieforpapa Member

Windex!!

Bronwen, Darkwing Manor and KSW like this.
  9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

you find some very cool pieces KSW:) I like that little flower necklace, haven't seen one before:)

10. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

It would be a tiny tiger... Fox « toofs » is most probable:joyful:
    Great salvages from the scrap pile!

11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou
    Thankyou XC girl!. I love the research and buy dirty bent broken and damaged items to learn from especially if they look unusual by my untrained eye.
    I am always on a tight budget so I don’t look in the dealers glass cases unless I want to drool over something gorgeous. I look at what they dump in a pile at the end of the table or leave in a tangled mess because they think it’s worthless which I suppose it may be to them - boring glass beads and a pot metal brooch. Less than £5 for the lot.
    C55C2C26-F5F7-4C2A-AE74-46C6DD349C51.jpeg
    But to me it’s treasure- Uranium and 1 gold clasp!
    C1927580-8B72-4420-9459-8BA92FE71D9A.jpeg
    Everyone here has made me so much more educated and discerning so now I spend my pennies more wisely but every buying mistake has been an education.
    Fox sounds good as not protected and they are very little toofs. Im sure Charles James Fox would have preferred them in his head though!

13. Ownedbybear

We don't do Windex. ;) Mr Muscle!

I'm not convinced it's a vulpine toof, these were usually souvenirs of some game hunt or other.

Thank you for the hallmark, missed that. It's Chester, but I can't see the CH I'd expect. I do have some Horner bits only marked sterling, by the way, but they're his proper style and with a CH as well.

I'd have grabbed the yellow beads. Amazing how dealers miss gold clasps.

Bronwen, kyratango and Houseful like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Or maybe even glass toofs, like in my 9 carat gold toof brooch, aka tiger dentures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Ooh I didn’t think of glass. I’ll get my loupe out :pompous:

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. i need help

I’ve changed the photo above with the CH circled.

Bronwen, Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  17. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thanks INH :)

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  18. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

19. Ownedbybear

Don't argue with foxen, eh? Big toofs. Noisy buggers they are, too.

20. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted