Featured Three War Veteran - What's His Story???

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Chiquita, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Chiquita

Chiquita Well-Known Member

HI All,

Went to an estate sale today of a gentleman who served in WWII, Korea and Vietnam. He passed in January of this year at the age of 91. I found three small boxes of the Kodak Chrome slides (can't recall what term is) of old photos. I knew right away some were taken in Vietnam (my dad served in Vietnam and passed away last year from a stroke - I know its a lot of info). I bought them all including an old German Camera that was stored in a Diamond Gadg-It camera bag w/C906 (can't date but would guess probably around 50s???). I was going through the pictures and there are pics of servicemen. I researched and found the date of birth and death of this serviceman. Saddened that during these estate sales - family members part with so many personal items of the deceased like family pictures, etc.... I know...I know I am gabbing too much and you want me to get to the point...I am getting there (smiley face). I tried to research an obit for this serviceman and no luck...He served in three wars and was a photographer (I was told he took pics for the Army). I can't find anything - about him and I feel there is a story...any suggestions on how else i can research? Looking at the slides, I don't believe he was a hobby-type photographer.

Appreciate any help or insight.

Chiquita

2. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Place of death?

Christmasjoy, judy and Chiquita like this.
  3. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

If anyone read my previous post, please ignore that post. I have now deleted it.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Check with the local newspaper. Certainly deserved a long obit for all that service.

Christmasjoy and Chiquita like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

And have you tried just Googling his name?

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  6. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Since you wrote that you'd tried searching for an obit, we took it to mean you'd already used Google or Bing. If you've found no results there, you could also try:

https://www.socialsecuritydeathindex-search.com/
    -- affiliated with Ancestry.com, so you'd need some membership or fee to access results... or your local public library may have an Ancestry.com membership that the public can access for free

https://www.familysearch.org/
    -- affiliated with Mormon church, but they keep records on everybody, Mormon or not

http://death-records.net/ssdi.htm
    -- seems free to use, but may have a more limited database

Plenty more options, but we're pressed for time at the moment...

7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

8. Chiquita

San Antonio.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Chiquita

I did that and no luck. Nothing. I will keep digging. His family may have wanted something low key. His wife also served in the Pacific and I found a tiny blurb indicating she did not want anything big when she passed. ☹️

10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

deleted. I had an article I had here, but sent you a private message.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Sadly, not one of my geographic areas of research, so I can't point you in the right direction. I do have access to a number of paid subscriptions that might have something. If you want to private message me the name, I'm happy to take a look.

Sorry I can't be of more outright help.

12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

What about a local VFW post? They might know where to look.

13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Have you thought of contacting his surviving family members? You could just say you are fascinated by his photography and would like to know more about him. Also ask whether they placed a newspaper obituary. As mentioned above, they might not have placed one. There could be lots of reasons why that could be the case.

14. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Here, the newspaper that used to post obits as a public service now charges for them. Starting at over $500. With four times the population as when it was free, there is less than a quarter of the obits than there used to be.

15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Wow -- it's surprising that there are even that many.

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted