Thrift find - is this a John Senex 1710 map of North America?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Aug 26, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this yesterday at a new thrift store I found (it's actually a small hole in the wall store run by a Cuban family) and thought it was beautiful!
    I'm going to have to change the frame because there is some rippling on the bottom matting, but it doesn't touch the map.
    When I got it home & checked it out I found that the original 1710 map measured 38" x 29.5" and mine measures 38.5" x 26.5" and 33" x 45" when measuring the foamboard/backing, which puts it within the range of an original - and made me come here to see what exactly I have!
    Did they make copies the same size as the originals? Did I get lucky & find an original?!
    Thanks in advance for any help.

MAP NORTH AMERICA JOHN SENEX 1AA.JPG MAP NORTH AMERICA JOHN SENEX 2AA.JPG MAP NORTH AMERICA JOHN SENEX 2AAA.JPG MAP NORTH AMERICA JOHN SENEX 3AA.JPG MAP NORTH AMERICA JOHN SENEX 8AA.JPG

Robert Ransom and judy like this.
  2. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Photos can not be used to verify authenticity of an original item. I suspect a copy.

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It looks awfully fresh for a 300 year old piece of paper.

Boland, kyratango, johnnycb09 and 4 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thritto on most likely repro.

5. Robert Ransom

Since I did not answer your question completely, allow me to offer the following: You did get lucky finding a probable copy, in great condition and best of all, a beautiful wall hanging. Congrats. :cool:

2manybooks and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I agree with the previous assessments. But you could search this forum for the many discussions on what 18th century paper looks like.

7. journeymagazine

I got a little hope because size was so close. I'm probably going to take out of frame because matting is curvy at bottom, I can see it and paper type better & if it sells it will be a heck of a lot cheaper out of frame to mail!
    Thank you all very much for info!

BoudiccaJones and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Robert Ransom

Is it always about the "Benjamins?"

techbiker likes this.
  9. journeymagazine

Not all - but it's how I pay my mortgage, electricity, etc

Paul W and BoudiccaJones like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted