Thrift find today - Bill Blass Flower Power Dress! I thought '70s, but shoulder pads = 80s?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by journeymagazine, Feb 16, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I saw this dress as it came from the back of the thrift store this morning, and I'm not sure why because it isn't a curvy or ornate dress (I couldn't tell the front from the back), but I guess it was the colorful flowers that made me look at it - and I saw it had a Bill Blass Dress tag!
    I thought it was circa 1970's but it has shoulder pads so I'm thinking it's more likely from the 80's?
    Being a simple dress not the evening dresses I think of when I hear Bill Blass, does it have any value?
    Any help would be appreciated!
    PS - Forgive the marks on the door - when photographing jackets or clothes for eBay I sometimes scotch tape parts to stay in a certain position for the photo!

CLOTHES DRESS BILL BLASS FLOWER POWER DRESS 1AAZZ.jpg CLOTHES DRESS BILL BLASS FLOWER POWER DRESS 2AA.jpg CLOTHES DRESS BILL BLASS FLOWER POWER DRESS 3AA.jpg

pearlsnblume and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

1980s according to this.

Debora

Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 3.48.16 PM.png

pearlsnblume and journeymagazine like this.
  3. journeymagazine

Thanks Debora! Kinda plain for Bill Blass right?

4. journeymagazine

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not the same dress. Does it have any labels -- fabric content, care, country of origin, RN -- besides the Blass one?

Debora

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Bill Blass was a ladies-who-lunch designer. I'd think resale value depends on design with evening probably more collectible.

Debora

Lucille.b and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

The colors are wonderful, not sure I would say it is Flower Power, more of just a big lovely floral print.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
  8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I don’t see 1970s “flower power”… more like late 80s or early 90s tropical vacation wear for the middle-aged woman. Bill Blass would have been available at the nicer department stores.

Lucille.b, Bakersgma and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A much more interesting dress at The Real Real.

Debora

Lucille.b and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. journeymagazine

If I put it on a sneak in to photograph for eBay - should I put a belt on it like in last link?

12. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Nope...it isn't cut for a belt. How 'bout a green sash?

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Probably too much volume for a belt.

Debora

pearlsnblume likes this.
  14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I agree that with shoulder pads it's likely closer to the 90s than the 70s. Looks awfully short though.

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted