Thrift Finds - No Art! Thoughts on Samurai sword? Joseph Fecit violin dated 1736?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Aug 20, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Going to my local thrift store yesterday I actually didn't find/buy any art(!) but I did find a bunch of cool things including a Fold O Matic table & 4 chairs (for Winnebagos I think?), 5 old individual hop a long cassidy comic book pages in frames & a couple of old cast iron bookends (1 looks like bull mastiff dogs!) and a couple of Barbies in their boxes - but these 2 I wanted to check here for help/info before I did anything with them.
    The sword if real must be a ceremonial sword because the edge is not sharpened. When I first saw it I looked for a made in china or made in pakistan stamp but this one has no mark at all! So I googled how to tell a real from a fake sword & the first two were make sure it had the wrapped handle & there were wood pegs in the handle.
    When I saw it had those 2 I went ahead & bought it since it was not expensive ($24.95 + there was a line of people behind me waiting to pay!).
    So did I find a real sword or is it just a copy - and if a copy is it better than the made in china/pakistan swords I've seen before?

The 2nd one is a old? violin with tags on the inside that says
    Joseph Guarnius Fecit
    Cremonae anno 1736 IHS
    Rappodi

I found a few googling it but none with Rappodi?
    It isn't from 1736 is it?
    What is the Rappodi mean?

Thank you!

SWORD SAMURAI SWORD 1AA.JPG SWORD SAMURAI SWORD 3AA.JPG SWORD SAMURAI SWORD 5AA.JPG SWORD SAMURAI SWORD 6AA.JPG SWORD SAMURAI SWORD 7AAA.JPG MUSIC VIOLIN A GROUP 1A ANTIQUE JOSEPH GUARNERIUS FECIT 2AA.jpg MUSIC VIOLIN A GROUP 1A ANTIQUE JOSEPH GUARNERIUS FECIT 3AA.jpg MUSIC VIOLIN A GROUP 1A ANTIQUE JOSEPH GUARNERIUS FECIT 3AAA.jpg MUSIC VIOLIN A GROUP 1A ANTIQUE JOSEPH GUARNERIUS FECIT 5AA.jpg MUSIC VIOLIN A GROUP 1A ANTIQUE JOSEPH GUARNERIUS FECIT 6AA.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Fecit is Latin for "made." Surname is Guarnerius in Latin, Guarneri in Italian. Made in Cremona, Italy in 1736. The question is whether that's true. :rolleyes:

judy, Boland and charlie cheswick like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Take that violin to a couple of GOOD music stores, not just one.....Reputable ones!!! Who knows, maybe your ship will come in!!:singing::singing::):):)

judy, antidiem and Boland like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]

The Hamone is Gunome.....likely high carbon steel...but may be stainless..

look on Aliexpress for others......
    it's a nice fake.

judy, Boland and charlie cheswick like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

6. journeymagazine

I will get it checked! Does anyone know what the Rappoldi means/is?

Boland likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

8. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Very cool buys.. Maybe you had a very good day at the ‘office’ with that violin. How much was it? Or was the $24 for both?

judy likes this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The sword is a nice decorator piece. The violin will depend on how it sounds since odds are the label is an honorific. They made a ton of violins in central Europe about 100-150 years ago with those labels inside. If it sounds good it's still worth money even if not real.

judy likes this.
  10. journeymagazine

The violin was $50- it came from same house as the 1950s-1960s. Winnebago/RV folding table & chairs and a old J.L. George carved table (tea table?) - my friend said $50 each when I brought them out front & I didn't argue; I'm happy I get to look first!
    The sword came from another thrift on the same block - I always go there after and make at least one round there before going home!

Boland likes this.
  11. journeymagazine

These are the other 2 pieces I got for $50 each (he threw the number out & I figured it was fair)
    Can anyone tell me what the scenes on each end of the Chinese table represent?

FURNITURE FOLD A MATIC TABLE & CHAIRS 2AA.JPG FURNITURE FOLD A MATIC TABLE & CHAIRS 9AA.JPG FURNITURE FOLD A MATIC TABLE & CHAIRS 9AAA.JPG FURNITURE TABLE J L GEORGE CHINESE TEA TABLE 1AA.JPG FURNITURE TABLE J L GEORGE CHINESE TEA TABLE 2AA.JPG FURNITURE TABLE J L GEORGE CHINESE TEA TABLE 3AAA.JPG FURNITURE TABLE J L GEORGE CHINESE TEA TABLE 4AAA.JPG FURNITURE TABLE J L GEORGE CHINESE TEA TABLE 8AA.JPG FURNITURE TABLE J L GEORGE CHINESE TEA TABLE 8AAA.JPG

12. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Exciting buy for $50. You have good hunting grounds and a ‘first look’ arrangement is golden

judy and journeymagazine like this.
  13. journeymagazine

Thanks Debora!
    What do you think - was this a model named after/in honor of him? (like they do some baseball gloves & bats?)
    Or maybe it was made for him? (I can dream, right?!)
    It seems unusual that I can't find another example with that as part of the label inside - I know it could be a copy but wouldn't you think you'd see more of it since they cranked them out? (definitely going to have to get the violin checked out)

14. evelyb30

Those Legomatic folding sets were big money for a while. They still sell to anyone with a smaller apartment. No idea on the Chinese coffee table, except that none were made until after WWII - coffee tables that is.

kentworld and judy like this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

16. journeymagazine

17. evelyb30

So wish we all. Alas if we did it would probably be hot.(sigh)

18. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

19. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

Sorry but the bow doesn't look like anything special. The violin's chin rest and bridge look quite new. The finish isn't very worn, and hardware all looks newish (and IMO not top end). The tags inside look older, however they could still be early 20th century, late 19th, or even made to look antique. Almost certainly not from 1736.

I'd consider selling the violin to a student. Recommend installing fine adjusters for the D and G strings first though. Fussing with the pegs every time is a pain.

Make sure the tension adjuster for the bow works and throw in some rosin. Come to think of it, the case looks much older than the violin.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
    UpAllnight and judy like this.
  20. journeymagazine

I got a text from a guy who buys and sells violins who saw a photo of my Hopf violin & asked what I wanted - I sent him some photos of the Fecit I found & asked what he thought and he said it was a decent violin from Saxony Germany and from around the 1900s. He asked what I wanted for it and I told him I was going to have it checked out as advised by antiquers first.
    Do you think he right on where it's from & date?

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted