Thrift store art Pt II - 'Rodeo' titled painting & Leroy Neiman school print

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jun 11, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Of all the art I got today at a local thrift store - I'm thinking (and hoping) that the 1st painting here titled 'Rodeo' is the best one of all of them? Can anyone make out the artist's signature? Or the message on back?
    Is it a good piece?

The 2nd one made me think it was a Leroy Neiman till I saw the gibberish signature! Does anyone know who did this one? (There was another horse racing one in same style by same person but it was too big to fit in my car!
    Thank you for any help; it is appreciated.

ART PAINTING RODEO 1A_AA.JPG ART PAINTING RODEO 2AAA.JPG ART PAINTING RODEO 3AAA.JPG
    ART PRINT MARATHON RACE 1AA.JPG ART PRINT MARATHON RACE 2AA.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not Leroy Neiman but same dif. Looks like commercial art from the 1970s when men raced and women applauded.

Debora

NewEngland and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

That poor little horse.

4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I think that's a pig so maybe poor little porky

Mugzinnys and kyratango like this.
  5. journeymagazine

Any way to make a bigger contrast on name on back of canvas ro possibly see who artist is?
    Debora there was also one with a horse race that had the same Leroy Neiman look - I hoped someone might know who the artist was because of the likeness to Neiman & he was not a 'one hit wonder'

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Neiman's work a bit more abstract but certainly similarities in subject, palette.

Debora

leroy-neiman-1972-olympic-serigraph-collection.jpg

Mugzinnys, Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@journeymagazine, that's the best I could do with the back of that image and contrasting that signature.....

ART PAINTING RODEO 3AAA-XX.jpg

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You know... Under "Rodeo," I think it says "Tecnica mixta." What do others think?

Debora

9. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Probably won't find the artist on the painting. Most likely someone by someone who never got well known. Date reads 1996

Mugzinnys, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like a hyena, but I think it is meant to be a horse.
    I agree.

Mugzinnys, i need help and judy like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Last name Sheider?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    Mugzinnys, i need help and judy like this.
  12. journeymagazine

I'm going to go out on a limb but I think it has..."it" and it was done by a known/listed artist & hopefully someone will pull a rabbit out of the hat and find out who they are - it's been done with less here!

Mugzinnys and judy like this.
  13. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

“it” might be time for an intervention

Mugzinnys, komokwa, reader and 4 others like this.
  14. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Ditto. Lol

Mugzinnys likes this.
  15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Any Jewelry, I just CAN'T pull anything out of that....all I see is could be Dani or Lani and then could be L or Scheiden maybe.....just dunno.........!

16. samuelcaulfield1

samuelcaulfield1 Well-Known Member

I believe the artist of the Neiman-esque piece is Wayland Moore. I came across his work in an NY thrift store..

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Bravo! Think that's him. His style has changed a bit but appears to be same sig. 1975 serigraph. 'Marathon Runners.'

Debora

MOR-1011.png

Aquitaine and i need help like this.
  18. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

19. journeymagazine

THANK YOU! It may have only sold for $50 on liveauctioneer, but it's a cool pop art type piece & knowing the artist will make it easy to sell - and for more than $50!
    Thank you again!

Mugzinnys and samuelcaulfield1 like this.
  20. journeymagazine

I just looked on eBay sold prices - surprisingly $55 is avg price (without frame)! Oh well - I'm still glad I know who the artist is!
    The thrift store does has a Leroy Neiman with a hand signed signature that they have been asking $350 for, for over a week - I asked if they would take $100 for it and the manager told me next time I came in if it was still there he would do it.
    The signature was done with a felt tip or sharpie but is old with some fading & there is no COA, but you can tell it's his signature - worth the $100?

Draft saved Draft deleted