Thrift Store Find - Abstract/Surreal Painting Signed CLEM(?) by Artist CLEM$?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Aug 5, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at my local thrift store today. I like it (it reminds me of the Beatles album or movie but I can't remember which one) - and note it's not a mirror image - 1 side is frowning while 2nd is smiling!).
    When I looked at the signature I saw Clem - & googling painting signed Clem brought up a lot of -also - off the wall paintings by a artist named Clem$ (with a dollar sign at end) whose works are valued in the $1,000's!.
    Could this be one of his?
    Does the artist signature look like Clem?
    Thoughts on this latest find?
    Thank you!
    PS - It's large; about 4ft x 2 1/2 - 3 ft.

ART PAINTING ABSTRACT CLEM 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING ABSTRACT CLEM 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING ABSTRACT CLEM 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING ABSTRACT CLEM 4AA.JPG

2. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Looking at it blown up here - maybe it's signed Alex M.?

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd think Alex M. too. And doubt professional artist. More student work.

Debora

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Someone untrained at least. I'd be thinking Magical Mystery Tour and the Yellow Submarine movie. It looks a lot like the Blue Meanies.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, not a professional painter. Just someone who had a lot of fun painting it.
    It is not abstract and not Surrealist. If you really want to put it into a style box, it is closer to Cubist, though not of the period.

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The sig looks like Alex M to me, too.
    This picture brought a smile to my face... the colors and the goofiness, I guess.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted