THRIFT STORE FIND - ANTIQUE BRONZE VASE ON STONE BASE

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Sep 7, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me what I have? I found it at a local thrift store today & bought it for $49 + tax - after I searched ebay for 'ANtique Bronze Vase on Stand Pedestal'; and saw prices from the high 100's to the 1,000's.
    But after I got it home I checked again; this time under sold/completed - I didn't see any that sold for over $300 and most were well under!
    Did I screw up again? ANY info on this (vase, right?) would be greatly appreciated.
    AA EBAY NEW A ART STATUE BRONZE VASE 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART STATUE BRONZE VASE 1CAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART STATUE BRONZE VASE 1CAAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART STATUE BRONZE VASE 1AAAAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART STATUE BRONZE VASE 4BAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART STATUE BRONZE VASE 4AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART STATUE BRONZE VASE 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART STATUE BRONZE VASE 4AA resized.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART STATUE BRONZE VASE 5AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART STATUE BRONZE VASE 7AA.jpg

2. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

Dang!!! I need to shop in your thrift store. I can't lend any info but if you paid 50 and they sell for 300, that's not bad and it ain't a loss!

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It looks like a lamp base to me, with some seriously scrambled neoclassical imagery.

4. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

Can you show a better pic on the top? Like looking down into it?

5. Bronwen

This is cropped from your next to last pic. Looks like some damage here, which may be your point.

upload_2018-9-7_20-41-33.png

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Definitely a lamp base. I thought that thing at the top with all the little holes was very odd. And then you showed the bottom with the hollow brass rod. Bingo.

7. Bronwen

Same points I noticed, but like gauntlett, would like to see top to understand that pointy bit.

scoutshouse, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Bronwen

Guessing it's the finial from the original lamp.

scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Makes sense.

scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Any value? I still think it's bronze, but who knows.
    I thought the top (I'll get a pic of it) was a addition - if you start unscrewing it everything starts to get loose - it's keeping the vase/lamp tight to the base.

11. Bronwen

Think that pretty well clinches it - a lamp base.

12. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Interesting imagery!
    Patd

13. Bronwen

Interesting, but incoherent.

The goddess Diana/Artemis, wearing too much clothing to go chasing through the woodland; a priest & a sacrificial fire.

upload_2018-9-8_0-10-12.png

A man wearing a panther skin & playing an aulos; a woman playing a lyre or kithara, plucking the strings with both hands while the instrument stays in the air without support.

upload_2018-9-8_0-12-20.png

A woman in an ambiguous posture, possibly meant to be dancing; a man in a drunken posture, leaning on a thyrsus.

upload_2018-9-8_0-14-42.png

Photo of the last duo is not as good as the others, so having a little trouble with it. At first couldn't figure what to make of the woman on the left, but with further examination, think she is an Amazon; opposite a warrior with a shield & sword? This is the one spot there is a hint of a story: echos of Achilles & Penthesilea.

upload_2018-9-8_0-22-16.png

The piper, the dancer & definitely the drunk guy all fit with a scene of a bacchanale, although only the aulos player is really dressed appropriately. The lyre doesn't belong; usually the accompaniment to the pipes is provided by percussion instruments. The lyre/kithara, appropriate to Apollo, is also played by the Muses Erato & Terpsichore. I choose to see it as Terpsichore when the figure is on her feet.

Put it together & what have you got? Bibbity bobbity boo.

14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

It looks like a snake by the woman.

15. Bronwen

Which woman?

Edit: If you mean the one I said could be dancing, I'm open to suggestions on that one. I was just seeing it as an edge of a billowing scarf, but can see how it could be a snake. The figure is wearing some kind of cap, could almost be a pilos type helmet:

[​IMG]

The 'snake' could be the edge of a shield.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  16. i need help

2 nd to last of your photos.

Attached Files:

17. Bronwen

See edited message above.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  18. i need help

Your most likely correct, it seems curved too perfectly.

scoutshouse, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  19. Bronwen

Making the imagery even more incoherent. Then there are the swan/goose handles, the encircling ivy with what look like grape clusters hanging from them... It's a real hodgepodge.

The way the top is made suggests to me that it had a glass shade of some type that sat in that perforated collar rather than a fabric shade requiring a harp to support it. Must have been quite a look.

20. Bronwen

Something this way:

[​IMG]

Which means I think the top has been closed off with a finial, just not one that came from this lamp.

Draft saved Draft deleted