Featured Thrift Store Find - Any info on 2 nude art deco(?) Roman(?) figural lamps?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by journeymagazine, Nov 15, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these at a local thrift store yesterday - and got them for only $25 each ($50 total)! I've had a similar lamp before, but these have glass globes, are pretty heavy & feel solid (unlike my last one which had a plastic globe & didn't feel solid like these)

There's no maker's mark that I can find except a CH Lighting sticker on the bottom - but looking them up I couldn't find anything that looked like these.
    Who made these? What are they made of? Are the figures anyone in particular or just generic beautiful people(!)?
    How old are these? (I know they can't be that old because of the clip that you squeeze to put lamp globes on & then it spreads apart inside globe holding it in place; older lamps would have screws to tighten to hold globes, right?)

Do these go together? (I know it may be a dumb question, but they are in different poses and the bases are different (1 square, 1 round)

Thank you for any help!

FURNITURE LAMP ART DECO FIGURAL PAIR BLACK 1AA.jpg
    FURNITURE LAMP ART DECO FIGURAL PAIR BLACK 2AA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP ART DECO FIGURAL PAIR BLACK 2AAAA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP ART DECO FIGURAL PAIR BLACK 4AA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP ART DECO FIGURAL PAIR BLACK 5AA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP ART DECO FIGURAL PAIR BLACK 5AAA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP ART DECO FIGURAL PAIR BLACK 7AA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP ART DECO FIGURAL PAIR BLACK 8AAA.jpg

dude, Bronwen, Figtree3 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Modern decor items, not Art Deco or Roman-inspired. The faces, hairdo, and the way the figures are portrayed are modern.

Born2it, dude, gauntlettgems and 6 others like this.
  3. journeymagazine

Thanks - but they are worth the $25 each right?

dude likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I don't know much about modern stuff, but I'm sure they are worth more.:)

dude and Aquitaine like this.
  5. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That one looks like a fixed price listing, not auction... but they do take offers. :)

Meanwhile, I agree these are modern. With the similar poses, maybe they were made to go together? It's hard to say.

dude and Roaring20s like this.
  7. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Could be as old as the 1980s. Could strike the right cord within a certain décor scheme. Some will see camp, or cartoonish, but some will see tongue-in-cheek

dude and Figtree3 like this.
  8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious::hungover:

Born2it, dude, BaseballGames and 2 others like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd say more Art Nervous than Art Nouveau. :D:D She looks .. cold. I can see these in some guy's man cave, but high art they ain't.

dude likes this.
  10. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

11. journeymagazine

dude likes this.
  12. dude

dude Well-Known Member

"Dirty Dancing," with Jennifer Grey as "Frances 'Baby' Houseman" and Patrick Swayze as "Johnny Castle," came to my mind when I saw the dance lifts and the woman's shirt tied like that on the one lamp. Perhaps the lamps were inspired by the '87 film?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
  13. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

1990’s for sure. That’s when I purchased mine. Still have it somewhere in the house. I faux finished mine and changed the globe to a tulip shaped thingy. I love it! I think I paid $70 - $80 for mine. I love the nude stuff.

good luck!

dude likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted