Thrift store find - Handmade wooden Titanic model w/interior lighting

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Sep 18, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at my local thrift store last week! I thought it was cool & didn't think I'd have a problem finding information on it, but a google image search turned up nothing like it.
    Wouldn't this have been from a kit?
    Could someone have made this on their own (free hand) without instructions & cutting each piece of wood/balsa wood by hand?
    One thing that makes me think it may be hand made - if you lift it out of the base/ocean water the bottom is flat & covered with a thick paper like material & written in pen it says "To change lights cut here" and there is a outline (also in pen) around the base of the ship where you would cut bottom out to reach bulbs inside.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated!
    It's almost 3ft long.
    Thank you!

TITANIC LIGHTED MODEL 1AAA.JPG TITANIC LIGHTED MODEL 1BAA.JPG TITANIC LIGHTED MODEL 4AA.JPG TITANIC LIGHTED MODEL 5AA.JPG TITANIC LIGHTED MODEL 5AAA.JPG TITANIC LIGHTED MODEL 5BAA.JPG TITANIC LIGHTED MODEL 5BAAA.JPG TITANIC LIGHTED MODEL 6AA.JPG TITANIC LIGHTED MODEL 6AAA.JPG
    TITANIC LIGHTED MODEL 9AAA.JPG

Born2it and stracci like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I don't think the Titanic was shaped quite like this. I wonder if it's adapted from a different model.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's definitely much like the Titanic, but the top of the front doesn't look quite right and I don't remember the stacks looking tilted and short. However, I am not a Titanic collector. There are some in the United States who are cray for it.
    :happy:
    I had a couple of less interesting 3' wooden model boats that came from DisneyWorld in Orlando that I was only able to sell for a hundred bucks each (not shipped but pickup only). I think you should shoot for $295 without shipping and take an offer. This is a one-of-a-kind. I cannot figure out what the blue material below is - is that a painted blue board or what? :)

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I don't think the Titanic had a fore castle or poop deck (I think that's what those raised decks on the fore and aft are called).

Still very cool!

upload_2022-9-18_14-34-8.png
    Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
    Bakersgma likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's really kinda great in a horrible way.

Debora

verybrad, Dyrektoressa and stracci like this.
  6. journeymagazine

Not sure maybe painted foam because it has waves?

antidiem likes this.
  7. journeymagazine

I posted in FB marketplace for $250 and local pick up - it would be scary to ship & packing it safely would cost more than the model itself!

antidiem likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd think. That would have to ship crated, and having a crate built is $illy money. It kinda sorta looks like Titanic; I bet someone built it to fit the space available instead of to scale.

antidiem likes this.
  9. antidiem

Looks like this to me too! :)

Yes Journey, I agree. I said the extra $45 bucks to give you a negotiation start point. :)

10. antidiem

The bottom blue part looks much like a central air conditioning vent filter...

Draft saved Draft deleted