Thrift store find - Info on Marwal Statue of Moses with Horns?!!

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jul 15, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this today at a local thrift store; it's by Marwal Industries & made of chalkware.
    It's also one of the most unusual versions of Moses I've ever seek - he has horns coming out of his head like the devil!

I've only found 1 other example; it's on Worthpoint so I can't see what it sold for - but some of the Marwal statues are selling for crazy prices especially since it's chalkware!

Another interesting thing - the one on Worthpoint is 18" - mine is 19" + compared to the one on Worthpoint my Moses has baby horns! Is it uncommon to have differences in Marwal's?

Also is that Moses's hair he has in his hand not holding the tablet or a snake in 5th photo? (a horned Moses - maybe he's got the snake from Eve's apple talking to him?)

Is this a good find/buy? (I got to admit the details are amazing; especially his hair)
    Any information or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you!

PS - What's best way to cover where chalkware is showing - just touch up with a bottle of gold/brown nail polish?

ART STATUE MOSES WITH HORNS MARWAL 1AA.JPG
    ART STATUE MOSES WITH HORNS MARWAL 2AA.JPG ART STATUE MOSES WITH HORNS MARWAL 2AAA.JPG ART STATUE MOSES WITH HORNS MARWAL 3AA.JPG ART STATUE MOSES WITH HORNS MARWAL 4BAA.JPG ART STATUE MOSES WITH HORNS MARWAL 8AA.JPG ART STATUE MOSES WITH HORNS MARWAL 8AAA.JPG

2. Generic_Lad

Generic_Lad Active Member

Not sure if you already knew this or not, but the tradition of Moses having horns comes from a mistranslated segment of Latin:

The depiction of a horned Moses stems from the description of Moses' face as "cornuta" ("horned") in the Latin Vulgate translation of the passage found at Exodus chapter 34, specifically verses 29, 30 and 35, in which Moses returns to the people after receiving the commandments for the second time. The Douay-Rheims Bible translates the Vulgate as, "And when Moses came down from the Mount Sinai, he held the two tablets of the testimony, and he knew not that his face was horned from the conversation of the Lord." This was Jerome's effort to faithfully translate the difficult, original Hebrew text, which uses the term קָרַן‎, qāran (based on the root, קֶרֶן‎ qeren, which often means "horn"); the term is now interpreted to mean "shining" or "emitting rays" (somewhat like horns)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moses_(Michelangelo)#Horns

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

A copy of Michelangelo's Moses.

[​IMG]

2manybooks, Bronwen and Debora like this.
  4. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

From an Internet search "Why does a Moses statue have horns"

"The horns on the head of Moses apparently result from an incorrect translation of the Exodus book which says that as Moses came down from Sinai, he had two rays on his forehead. The Jewish "karan" or "karnaim" - "rays" - may have been confused with "keren" - "horns".

reader and Tanya like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The end of his beard.

6. Bronwen

You can name him Stubby.

Janice Nicholls likes this.
  7. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Beams of light, not horns.

reader, pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  8. Bronwen

9. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

My brother was dating a lady and they went to visit her family. His girlfriend was not Jewish but my brother is obviously. Some of her relatives asked to see if he had horns. This was about 15 years ago, so stupidity prevails.

Janice Nicholls, Bronwen and Rayo56 like this.
  10. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Now People can't be that stupid? Never mind...........

[​IMG]

11. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

There are tons of Marwal chalkware on ebay

Bronwen likes this.
  12. Pattywithay

Pattywithay Well-Known Member

Omg!

pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  13. Bronwen

This is still going on? I had never heard of it until I was in college & a Jewish roommate told me. That was half a century ago. Later I heard of other episodes from earlier times. Evidently ignorance is heritable.

14. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

and sometimes you can't cure STUPID!!!

15. journeymagazine

Yes rink - with sold prices from $20 to several $100s - but not this one which is why I was trying to learn more about it

Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  16. journeymagazine

When I was a kid my mom remarried to a Jewish guy and converted for him - I liked it because I got to celebrate (ie for a kid - get gifts!) Christmas and Hanukkah - as well as being the only got who knew the words to Hava Naglia(?)!
    I liked the guy - we had a ranch in NC where we lived and we had a annual rodeo + it had a 1/4 mile race track we used to raise/train Quarter horses - I was still a christian so I was a "Jew for Jesus" and my step dad was "the Jewish Cowboy"!

reader, Bronwen, Boland and 3 others like this.
  17. journeymagazine

Spell check changed it but I meant to say I was the only GOY not got - who knew the words to hava nagila

reader, Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  18. reader

reader Well-Known Member

OMG! Unreal but I guess not!

Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  19. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Can't add a like to this pearls

One of the most ignorant things I've ever heard

I honestly can't even comprehend someone would say this

The mind freaken boils

Love ya

Charlie

Bronwen, pearlsnblume and reader like this.
  20. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

We as a family used to travel with my father to different parts of the USA as he had retail stores. There were many times we were made to feel very uncomfortable or some locals spewed hatred at us just for being at the hotel or in the dining room. As a kid it was very scary. One time it was so bad, we had to get up and leave before we finished our meal. The one lady was a lunatic.
    All this just for being Jewish. And this is still going on here in the USA.

Bronwen and charlie cheswick like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted