THRIFT STORE FIND INSIDE SHADOWBOX CLOCK - GEORGE BARTELL WATERCOLOR? PEN & INK?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Nov 13, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I saw this painting? Pen & ink? artwork of a race car speeding away around the bend of a curve in what I thought was a shadow box frame until I looked at the back & saw directions for the batteries for a clock!

I looked at the artwork again & didn't see any hole for the hands/motor and when I googled the artist's name I figured someone had used the frame/box to protect it - because it looks like an original pen & ink (my guess because it's signed in pencil) by renown automotive artist George Bartell!

So I took the back off when I got home & lo and behold there was a sunset print with a hole for the clock's hands being used as a backing for the art!
    A couple of questions - is this a pen & ink or a watercolor? - If you look at the photos near the end you can see that Bartell(?) mounted a piece of paper on a art board and then painted(?) the scene; because at 1 side it is loose & when you pick it up you can see some of the paint(?) is still/also on the edge of the board.

So what is it made of; pen & ink or paint?
    And - does anyone know what kind of car that is?!

Thank you!
    PS - has to be one of my coolest finds in a while!

ART PAINTING BARTELL GEORGE CAR RACING 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING BARTELL GEORGE CAR RACING 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING BARTELL GEORGE CAR RACING 2AAA.JPG ART PAINTING BARTELL GEORGE CAR RACING 3AAA.JPG
    ART PAINTING BARTELL GEORGE CAR RACING 4AA.JPG ART PAINTING BARTELL GEORGE CAR RACING 5AA.JPG ART PAINTING BARTELL GEORGE CAR RACING 5AAA.JPG ART PAINTING BARTELL GEORGE CAR RACING 4AAA.JPG ART PAINTING BARTELL GEORGE CAR RACING 5DAAA.JPG ART PAINTING BARTELL GEORGE CAR RACING 5DAAAA.JPG

Houseful likes this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The car is a corvette. Beyond that, you've got me.

3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Looks like acrylic and black grease pencil to me, Journey.

aaroncab likes this.
  4. journeymagazine

I don't think he used grease pencil - is there a way to find out what it's made from exactly; so I can list it correctly?

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks like acrylic and grease pencil to me too. And I don't think mis-identifying the medium will hurt much. According to the internet:

"Bartell liked to work in acrylic, but he was more than happy to use whatever was handy."

Debora

antidiem and aaroncab like this.
  6. antidiem

Agreed, thanks Debora

7. journeymagazine

Would grease pencil have a slick or ... greasy (sorry! lol) feel to it?

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't surprise me. Crayon and oil pastel would if you touched them.

9. journeymagazine

That is what I thought too, but this doesn't have that feel - it's dry to touch - this couldn't be a print could it?

10. antidiem

The "feel" of a grease pencil may not be perceptible to a non artist, or you'd have to have very keen tactile senses. Yes, it should smear a small amount off on a q-tip if you want to have a go at it on a part that is not near the signature. Do not wipe on the signature. A hint of iso.alcohol on the qtip will make more of a mark on the painting (or print) so if you use a cutter like alcohol, be sure it is very dry and in a non descript place. If nothing - it's a print.

It looks original to me, but I have a question, the flat canvas has been cut down to fit the frame on two sides, cut by hand with a utility knife. What am I looking at in your last photo above? Is there a fabric paper type canvas of the picture laying on the top of the flat canvas on which you can see the hand cuts from the back? Is that flat canvas - nothing more than more backing, along with the original sunset print?

i need help likes this.
  11. journeymagazine

It was painted on a piece of paper that was first glued or attached to a board (label says brownie board - photos 7 & 8) and that's where he didn't tape it off first & painted over the paper onto the board.
    Also it must have been done in 1969 as dated because the paper comes off the board fairly easy now.

ART PAINTING BARTELL GEORGE CAR RACING 7AA.JPG ART PAINTING BARTELL GEORGE CAR RACING 7AaA.JPG

12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Looks like paint has gone over onto the edge of the board.

13. journeymagazine

Yes - it's not a print!

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I suspect your original dated work of a racing Corvette by George Bartell is very desirable.

Debora

antidiem and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  15. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I agree

16. journeymagazine

Thank you - I am curious about it being a corvette; I thought I read during that period he was making ads for Ford Shelbys?

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

He painted lots of Corvettes.

Debora

s-l400.jpg

18. TIna Van Curen

TIna Van Curen New Member

Have you sold it?

19. journeymagazine

Sold it to a guy in Az for $400 or $450 if I remember correctly; he saw post on Miami FB marketplace and contacted me!

Draft saved Draft deleted