Thrift store find large mid century(?) painting signed Wyeth - it's not THAT Wyeth is it?!

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Mar 19, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a thrift store today - it was only $14.95 because (I think) part of the canvas needs to be re-stretched (lower center).
    It's big (50" x 40.5") and it's signed Wyeth!
    It's not by that Wyeth (Andrew) is it? If not, can anyone tell me who the artist was? (Please not factory art!)
    Any thoughts on it - is it mid century modern?
    Thank you!

ART PAINTING WYETH 1AAA.JPG ART PAINTING WYETH 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING WYETH 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING WYETH 4AA.JPG

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

No. Not by any of the Wyeth family. Factory painting using a recognized name to draw a buyer into thinking they got a real one.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree. Vaguely NYC-esque.

Debora

antidiem, Houseful and Bakersgma like this.
  4. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Some things are plenty apparent...

5. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

6. journeymagazine

May be apparent but for $15 I'll make money on it.
    Thank you - I had to check!

judy and CheersDears like this.
  7. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Look like NYC now little traffic and few people :-(

judy likes this.
  8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  9. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Anti, do you mean the small, squarish thing right of center in the sky? If so, it looks like a sticker with a barcode on it to me.

10. journeymagazine

That was the price tag I didn't notice! lol

11. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

New York City view via Chinese factory. I believe I saw it along with other similar views some years ago at a Korean shop in Lake County, Florida. I even bought a couple myself as they were well made. Pictures are from my former home in Ormond Beach, Florida. One Paris view, with Eiffel Tower, one view of a generic Southwestern mountain range. It looks very much like my view of the Sandias, with the Rio Grande river below, near Albuquerque where I lived in the mid-1980s. Couldn't find any closeups of just the paintings so this is from the archives:
    Sandia range, Rio Grande, New Mexico.
    ormondbeach-livxmas2.jpg Paris, Eiffel Tower, street view.
    ormondbeach-livxmas3.jpg

Closeup of the Paris view painting. I am modeling a convertible necklace to tiara handcrafted by a local artist friend.
    ormondbeach-dinacrwn.jpg

P.S. You did okay at fifteen dollars. My paintings were in the $100-range. Purchased unframed the shop let me select the frames I wanted that they added.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    BoudiccaJones likes this.
  12. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Very futuristic looking with the hover car.

13. lizjewel

@journeymagazine Hey, did a flash go off when you took the pictures of the painting? Am wondering because the entire center in a wide swath is very washed-out looking. If no flash, does the painting look this faded in the center, from being exposed to UV perhaps? The "hover" car is probably squarely on the street but looks floating because the wheels are not visible in the lightened middle area.

14. journeymagazine

Was a flash but car looks like it's hovering always!

15. lizjewel

If you look at the stylized people in the painting they also seem to be floating off the street surface. The painter may be the same as the one who painted my Paris scene. The same stylized "floating" people wander on that street.

I have read about the paint factory cities of China. They use the socalled Rembrandt Method of painting there. One painter/artist is "good with" certain features so is allocated them, such as people. Another paints houses, a third skies, a fourth streets, yet another the final touches, highlights, corrections, etc.

You will recall that Rembrandt did this, used his apprentices to do the best they were capable of individually, such as hands, feet, faces, hair, folds in the garments.

Rembrandt himself oversaw the works, adding the typical Rembrandt touches himself. The Chinese factories do the same. And they have art in various grades, from very high end execution to middle-of-the-road to run-of-the-mill. My paintings are graded middle-of-the-road for the Paris scene, and above-average for the Southwestern mountain and river scene.

Draft saved Draft deleted