Thrift Store Find - Marilyn Monroe ® tagged groovy abstract designed cocktail(?) dress!

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by journeymagazine, May 18, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I liked this as soon as I saw it coming out on a rack & being rolled to the clothing section of a thrift store today - the designs on it were very 60's - 70's (my prime time!) hippie - ish. I got the dress & when I looked at the tag was I surprised; it said Marilyn Monroe® !

But it also says Made in China
    It also has another tag on a slip(?) that is attached by 2 strings under the dress that says it is 95% Polyester and 5% Spandex(!) - this tag also says at the top Made in/Hecho en China - so I'm assuming it's not a old dress with the bilingual tag?
    What years/years is this from? Can I call it vintage?
    Is it a cocktail dress? A summer dress? (it has a flap on the lower front of the dress that made me think of a summer dress (if I'm wrong sorry; I'm a guy & am out of my league here!)

Any info would be appreciated; I know I can't be the only one who likes it - I bet Austin Powers would say "Groovy Baby" if he saw it!
    Thank you!

CLOTHES DRESS MARILYN MONROE 1CAA.JPG CLOTHES DRESS MARILYN MONROE 1AA)a.JPG CLOTHES DRESS MARILYN MONROE 3AA.JPG CLOTHES DRESS MARILYN MONROE 3AAA.JPG CLOTHES DRESS MARILYN MONROE 3CAA.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Design inspiration is 1980s graffiti from designer Stephen Sprouse.

Debora

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 2.09.40 PM.png

Figtree3, NewEngland and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Certainly lots of visual "wow."

Debora

6. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Thanks Debora - I think I'll make more selling it at my estate/yard sale - the first impression of design & then the name on tag makes it a easy sale (I hope!)
    Thanks wiscbirddog - those brought me back to earth! And the first one they had to add a or best offer?? It wasn't cheap enough??!! lol

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Could be wrong, but I wouldn't expect original '60s stuff like this to be made in China.

(Back then they were busy with the Cultural Revolution.)

Draft saved Draft deleted