THRIFT STORE FIND MILITARY VIDEO GAME MILITARY VERSION?

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by journeymagazine, Mar 21, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a local thrift store & when I researched it, I couldn't find another example for sale - or even a front view of the game/case!
    I did find that a company 'Rival Interactive' made almost exact copies of the original games that were made by the Joint Staff for it's military members.
    In this link they have my version facing backwards to the camera!
    https://www.bing.com/images/search?...GES&selectedindex=8&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&eim=1,2,6

And that view of the back of the box is the only image that comes up:
    https://www.bing.com/images/search?...joint+forces+employment+GAME+IMAGES&FORM=IGRE

Also, mine does not have the T teen warning box seen on the other boxes (Capitol T in white box lower right front) or the REAL WAR at the top of it

Another link said in part about it:
    • Joint Forces Employment - The original game that Real War was created from. It was never released outside of the U.S. military. Released on May 17, 2000. The game is, apart from minor differences in interface and unit statistics for balancing, (For example, the MLRS units in JFE have much longer range than in Real War) virtually identical to the Real War games released for civilian market.
    So do I have something special here?
    Any thoughts or info about it would be appreciated.
    PS - Mine is still sealed
    Thanks again

TOY JOINT FORCE EMPLOYMENT GAME 1AA.JPG TOY JOINT FORCE EMPLOYMENT GAME 2AA.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

property of the US Gov't ......... I'd toss it before the Feds found out y have it !!:eek:

3. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

"Ya never know at auction" -- but CD-format war games seem to sell (when they sell at all) in a very consistent $10.-$20. range. Many more fail to sell even at that price or lower. We'd think you might realistically hope for a sale in the upper reaches of that range just because of rarity.

judy, anundverkaufen and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Spirit of the time, but I'd be afraid the avid market for this would be among the sort of people who one day go out & shoot up a place of worship because they don't like that kind of worshiper. :(

anundverkaufen and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

It's like a strategy board game,nothing like the kill them all in the modern video games. Even the more violent video games have little to do with real world violence.

6. Bronwen

I'm not suggesting that video games of any kind lead to violence. I'm imagining that the sort of person who spends a lot of time at the computer when not busy amassing an arsenal against the day when an oppressive government leaves him on his own (after already having tried to take his guns away) for that inevitable day when the race war comes is the sort of person who would be willing to pay more than the general going rate for CD-ROM games for this one, to get inside the mind of the enemy, or as evidence of the government's plot against the people. 'Avid' is the key word.

anundverkaufen likes this.
  7. komokwa

Calm down Bronwen................yer scarin me !! :stop::eek::eek::eek:

8. Bronwen

To express it more academically, it is a mistake to construe 'if you are the sort of person I described, then you are likely to be especially attracted to this game' as being equivalent to saying 'if you are attracted to this game, then you are likely to be especially violent'.

Living in a country where I am expressly granted the right to own firearms, when at the same time I have no such guarantee of safety from the guns of others, I am edgy. At present, the less gun ownership friendly laws of my locality are quite likely to get shot down by the Trump Court.

BaseballGames and anundverkaufen like this.
  9. komokwa

You have no explicit guarantee of safety, even from your own guns.
    Unless, of course you lock them in a safe....with the ammo locked in another safe in another part of the house.
    In which case....why own a gun at all..!

anundverkaufen likes this.
  10. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

It's a scary world for sure ... Joy. :(

anundverkaufen and Bronwen like this.
  11. komokwa

But it's the only one we have... so why not make it a better place !!:):);)

12. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

13. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Well, my husband is a military historian - a writer and a game designer. He has about 30 military strategy games on the market. He also occasionally is contracted to present "strategy sessions" at military bases, using games (usually live action) to illustrate the history and tactics of war and diplomacy to both enlisted troops and officers.

I asked him about this particular game, and he laughed. He said that this was a version intended to "help" the military, and that it was considered a total flop. Whether it is "valuable" in any way is anyone's guess (but the non-military version holds very little monetary value.)

There is a site online with a tiny bit of info. If you scroll down to the 4th title, Real War, at this link, you'll find a little about it.
    https://medium.com/war-is-boring/four-times-the-army-has-tried-to-turn-war-into-a-game-859d64bb3d35

DH says that the guy who wrote the line: If you really want to play it, you can pick up a sealed copy for $999.99 on eBay must have been referring to this listing, from 2013, which was ended by the seller:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Joint...-CD-ROM-DC-Military-War-Game-3D-/290830954219.

Here's the OCLC World Cat (library) listing for it:
    https://www.worldcat.org/title/joint-force-employment/oclc/44417292

That's all I can add.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  14. axelrich

axelrich Active Member

Its RTS(Real time Strategy) i guess.

15. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted