Featured THRIFT STORE FIND! PENCIL SIGNED LIMITED ED. DALI - PAPER HAS SEAL?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Dec 27, 2017.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this today at a local thrift store - I paid $20 + tax! It is a limited edition and is pencil signed + the limited edition number is pencil signed (and in roman numerals?) by Dali.
    It appears vintage - the frame looks 70s or 80s to me? Plus the tape that remains on back definitely has some age.
    Does anyone know the name of this piece?
    The paper has a embossed seal at lower right that is partially covered by the frame - I can see LIGART - does anyone know what this is? (the paper maker or something from Dali foundation?.
    Finally, the limited edition number shows this is #37 of 100 - but what do the initials E.A. next to the numbers mean? If it was a Artist's Proof would they have 100 proofs?
    Am I allowed to ask what the value of this is? It is big - 28" x 18" without the frame. PS - I know it's dirty; I didn't even clean the glass yet - I came home, photographed it, and came here to see exactly what I found! I'm going to go clean the glass & frame now.
    Thanks - I appreciate any help on this; even if it's not real expensive, the excitement of finding it is what gets me to go by there every day (as well as the vintage bikes I find!)
    Thanks again.

AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT DALI PENCIL SIGNED 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT DALI PENCIL SIGNED 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT DALI PENCIL SIGNED 3AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT DALI PENCIL SIGNED 4AA.jpg

lloyd249, judy, KingofThings and 2 others like this.
  2. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

I believe E.A. is like artist proof but please wait for the others.

3. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I don't think Dali signed it. As bobsyouruncle stated, it most likely is just a notation for an artists proof or even just a museum copy. What's under the frame that's been cut off?

5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Here is one for sale that he signed: See the difference in the signature? s-l1600.jpg

6. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The signature looks iffy...but the full chop mark revealed may help to validate the print.
    100 artist proofs....is a bit on the high side...but I don't know the total run of this print.

8. komokwa

I don't recognize this siggy at all...

9. komokwa

10. komokwa

my Dali siggy....
    IMG_1812.JPG

11. journeymagazine

It looks like his signature if you look under 'vintage pencil signed Dali lithos'
    I guess I'll take back off so I can see complete seal/stamp & post a pic I was hoping someone knew so I wouldn't have to possibly hurt it

12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

That frame doesn't look like anything special, so removing the print shouldn't hurt anything.

I think that seeing more of the stamp is more valuable than leaving it in that frame.

judy, KingofThings and Christmasjoy like this.
  13. komokwa

Dali prints and siggys have been discussed before with no resolutions other than the understanding that there are many fakes out there....

upload_2017-12-27_15-23-38.jpeg

I'm not seeing where yours looks good....

Dali-Fake-siggy.jpg

KingofThings and Christmasjoy like this.
  14. journeymagazine

I took the back cover off but not the actual art because I'd have to tear some tape.
    There is a fingerprint with a serial number on the back, and although it's not clear the seal says Lligart Ltd. 1984.
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT DALI PENCIL SIGNED 5AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT DALI PENCIL SIGNED 5BAA.jpg

judy, KingofThings and Christmasjoy like this.
  15. komokwa

16. journeymagazine

17. komokwa

whom ever did the framing should be shot...in their hands....

They framed over the signature.....:inpain:

I can't say if it's real or not....but it's trying hard to be !!

but ...why would the Worthpoint one be numbered so differently from yours..???

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    judy likes this.
  18. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

Confusion About Salvador Dali Signature
    How did this all of this confusion and chaos regarding the Dali signature begin in the first place? What did Salvador Dali do? Dali played a huge role in the scandal. At one point, he signed thousands of blank pages for $40 each so that they could be produced as prints. With those many signatures floating around, it is no real shock that forgeries emerged. Dali stopped this practice in 1980, but by then there were many signature examples to be used.

Part of the problem is that the usual practice for limited edition prints is to make the prints and then later sign all of them once they have gone through the press and have been authenticated. Dali departed from the traditional way of producing signed prints so that he could make money faster.

How do you know if the Dali artwork you are going to buy is genuine or fake? The answer should be given by experts. Some specialized companies can perform a Dali's signature authentication and give you the right advice. Also, the Salvador Dali Theatre-Museum in Figueres offers this service to determine authorship of Dali artworks.

plaid423 and judy like this.
  19. journeymagazine

Thank you

judy and lloyd249 like this.
  20. journeymagazine

Here is the back, as well as a better look at seal. Does anybody know what kind of paper this is?
    If I sell it, I'd rather do it without frame & glass front (just had 2 pieces sold on eBay arrive broken and even with Fed Ex packing them & insurance, I'm having a difficult time getting Fed Ex to repay me - although Paypal immediately froze the amounts in my acct.) - should I cut old tape at edge of paper & leave strip on the paper? Or try to remove it before rolling it & putting in shipping tube?

AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT DALI PENCIL SIGNED 4BAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT DALI PENCIL SIGNED 5BA_AA.jpg

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted