Featured THRIFT STORE FIND - REAL (circa 1920's)? DECO ERA ELECTRIC WALL LIGHT SCONCES

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Aug 19, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these today & I think they may actually be deco era wall sconces/lights - can anyone tell me what I have? (Home run?)
    Thanks!
    PS - Looking at the photos - these look like light sconces in my dad's old theaters! The large part (with the opening for light to shine out along wall) should be pointed downwards - the 1st photos are upside down?
    If these are theater sconces, are they valuable - someone with a home theater would like these, right?
    Are they as old as I think or newer?
    Thanks again.

FURNITURE DECO SCONCES 1A_AA.jpg FURNITURE DECO SCONCES 1AAZ.jpg FURNITURE DECO SCONCES 1AAAZ.jpg FURNITURE DECO SCONCES 2AAZ.jpg FURNITURE DECO SCONCES 7AAAZZ.jpg FURNITURE DECO SCONCES 8CAAZZ.jpg FURNITURE DECO SCONCES 9AAZ.jpg FURNITURE DECO SCONCES 9A_AAZ.jpg

2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

They are old, and nice. I think they are called Slip Shade Sconces.

3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Yes Kronos is right - slip shades. Your first photo is the correct orientation.

4. journeymagazine

5. journeymagazine

Any idea who made them? I looked & have found: Mid West, Markel, Globe Lighting, etc.. - there were a LOT of companies making these(good news is it looks like they're worth anywhere from $200 - $800 for the pair!)

i need help and antidiem like this.
  6. antidiem

I haven't seen this particular style before, sorry.

i need help likes this.
  7. journeymagazine

Me either - is there a name for the 3 level/tiered style? Closest I found was called Empire style?

i need help and antidiem like this.
  8. antidiem

I would have no problem if you called 'em "empire style" and be sure to slap a high price on 'em!

i need help likes this.
  9. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

janettekay, i need help and antidiem like this.
  10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Shades of the huge, velvet covered theatres in Philadelphia -- that used to be for burlesque!

i need help likes this.
  11. journeymagazine

12. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

13. journeymagazine

I put them on eBay for $295 or best offer and had an offer for $200within the hour which I accepted. Mine are going to need work + I got them for only $20 so I'm happy.
    Just wanted to say thanks again because without you I'd have never known what to list them as!

14. antidiem

Oh good for you Journey, you got the 10x factor I always used to shoot for!!

i need help and Jivvy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted