THRIFT STORE FIND - TORN JOSE MIJARES PAINTING THE REAL DEAL?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jun 22, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a thrift store today - $5 because it was torn! It looks like the work of listed Cuban artist Jose Mijares; including the signature(!) - is this one of his paintings?
    The canvas measures 16" x 20"
    If so even torn the painting is valuable, right?
    Thanks!

ART PAINTING MIJARES JOSE 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING MIJARES JOSE 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING MIJARES JOSE 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING MIJARES JOSE 4AA.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Subject, signature. Looks right.

Debora

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

BUT you BOUGHT it WITH that HUGE SLICE in it????!! I think that will detract from the value, whatever the value may be.......

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Apparently he painted this figure a number of times. Works are all entitled 'Habanera' which translates to 'Woman of Habana.' A Google Image search will bring up other examples.

Debora

habanera-jose-maria-mijares-cuba_1_458a9ebf08660666314bc1a58d62a348.jpg

Aquitaine likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Similar examples of his work sell in the low thousands. Someone may be happy to pay for restoration. (Looks like a clean tear.)

Debora

Aquitaine likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Well, here's one for $8,500. on Artsy.net.....not sure of the signatures are the same or not though!! On enlargement, it sure looks the same.....

JOSE MIJARES ART.jpg

MIJARES SIGNAT-gigapixel-scale-2_00x.jpg

7. Aquitaine

I was just on 'LiveAuctioneers.com' looking at 99 of his past pieces and prices, and his prices range all over the place, frequently under $10,000. and occasionally in the $Teens...the one I cited above here is asking and I think very aggressive....did not see another that high. What I'm more concerned about with Journey's painting is the 'thinness' of the paint on the canvas, which I don't tend to see on the ones I've looked at on various sites....and BELIEVE ME, I TRULY WOULD LOVE TO SEE @journeymagazine HIT IT BIG with one of his paintings!!!!! Maybe this is it.....I'm NOT an expert....just trying to look at it carefully, and just MY opinion!!! Here's just one more....

MIJARES PTNG-gigapixel-scale-1_50x.jpg

8. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Looking at the ones online and journeys, journeys doesn't look right to me. The 2 pics above posted by debora and aquitaine have a much cleaner smoother look. Journeys has more shaky not smooth layers of paint on top of other layers that doesnt look right. I could be wrong but I would say copy.

aaroncab likes this.
  9. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I agree with rink...most likely a torn copy.

Draft saved Draft deleted