THRIFT STORE FINDS - ARE THESE FINE ART? KORANYI GABOR, BUCHI UPJOHN + 3 NEED HELP w/SIGNATURES

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Nov 12, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I saw these as they came in from a truck today - they were all large (at least 36") and surreal/abstract looking to me & my friend the manager of the thrift store immediately told me, "These are not going to be the regular prices I give you Charlie; these are fine art."

I was able to make out - and look up - the 1st two below = Koranyi Gabor & the Upjohn (Buchi - right?) signatures and with those 2 listed artists I agreed to buy the 5 pieces for $100 each - $500 total

But I can't make out the other signatures - can anyone please help?

The bashful lady & the sculpture (as opposed to the angry lady below them - names I came up with since I don't know who the artists are!) look like they are both signed with a intertwined JC - are they by the same artist?

The "angry lady" signature looks like R and the last name is indecipherable to me.

Also it may sound stupid but if I don't ask I won't know - What is 'fine art' exactly?

Any help with these signatures would be greatly appreciated; this was the most I've spent - at one time - at a thrift store!

Thank you!!

ART PRINT THRIFT STORE COMMUNITY KORANYI GABOR  1AA.JPG ART PRINT THRIFT STORE COMMUNITY KORANYI GABOR  1A_FA.JPG

ART PRINT THRIFT STORE COMMUNITY UPJOHN BUCHI  1AA.JPG ART PRINT THRIFT STORE COMMUNITY UPJOHN BUCHI  1AAA.JPG ART SCULPTURE THRIFT STORE COMMUNITY 1AA.JPG ART SCULPTURE THRIFT STORE COMMUNITY 2AA.JPG ART SCULPTURE THRIFT STORE COMMUNITY 3AA_AA.JPG ART PRINT THRIFT STORE COMMUNITY BASHFUL SURREAL LADY 1AA.JPG ART PRINT THRIFT STORE COMMUNITY BASHFUL SURREAL LADY 3AA.JPG

THE ANGRY LADY BELOW

ART PRINT THRIFT STORE COMMUNITY UGLY LADY 1AA.JPG

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  2. journeymagazine

Sorry so many photos - last one is signature of the angry lady above
    Thank you again for any help with these signatures - I figured I was safe at least breaking even with the first 2 being known - but knowing the other 3 would be a relief!

ART PRINT THRIFT STORE COMMUNITY UGLY LADY 1AAA.JPG

judy likes this.
  3. architrave

architrave Well-Known Member

The last one seems to be Richard Lindner.

Figtree3, judy and reader like this.
  4. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Fine art means art that is done extremely well by a highly skilled artist.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  5. journeymagazine

It definitely looks like same signature - Thank You So Much!!

judy likes this.
  6. journeymagazine

So do any of above - including Richard Lindner - meet that?

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  8. journeymagazine

Say_it_slowly thank you!! Going to link but did you see any sculptures (like the face)?
    Thank you again - now I have a starting point!!

judy likes this.
  9. journeymagazine

Both artist's works - but especially Robert Lindner - remind me of Peter Max!

judy likes this.
  10. journeymagazine

Is the Upjohn by Buchi Upjohn? It is a painting not a print/litho so it definitely has some value

reader and judy like this.
  11. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Cambridge English Dictionary says 'fine art' is: drawings, paintings and sculpture that are admired for their beauty.

So rather leaves this to your interpretation of the word beauty.

To me they aren't 'fine art'. To you maybe they are.

Any Jewelry, judy and komokwa like this.
  12. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I think you did pretty well this time, the artists have good credentials. I like the Upjohn painting the best.

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  13. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I would think so, the style of the last name looks the same. There are lots of examples to compare with. Maybe write the artist?

judy likes this.
  14. journeymagazine

I just posted to Julio C Garcia's FB page asking if the face sculpture was his - I can't find any other example. I'll check out Upton's website - Thank You!

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  15. journeymagazine

I found this one in the 2nd thrift store in this strip mall - and for $24.95 I thought it was a great deal (especially after just spending $500!) but I can't find another artist named Young with this style - does anyone know who this artist is? (it's the last one I bought today don't worry!)
    What is the style - fantasy?

ART PAINTING YOUNG 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING YOUNG 3AA.JPG

judy likes this.
  16. journeymagazine

Just checked his Originals on his website and all were signed Buchi Upjohn not just Upjohn; so I am sending him a email with photos of it & signature to check
    Thanks again Lithographer

judy likes this.
  17. say_it_slowly

18. say_it_slowly

19. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Remember it’s Richard Lindner, not Robert snd yes he's a fine artist. In general the term is used for recognized (by no means necessarily trained) artists that are collected by museums and maintain secondary market resale at recognized art auction houses.

BTW Lindner definitely can be compared on certain levels to young/early Peter Max before he totally sold out but also has a lot in common with the Chicago Imagists of the 70s.I’ve always been a fan.

IMO this is your best haul that I’ve seen.

verybrad, Figtree3, judy and 2 others like this.
  20. journeymagazine

Thank you

judy and reader like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted