Featured Thrift Store Finds! Vargas Expo Poster, Dali Limited Edition, America's Cup Poster, Superman Bust

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jun 23, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

The last couple of days have been like Christmas at a local thrift store!
    Some of what I've found:

A 1985 Vargas exhibition poster
    A Collection Domaine Picasso limited edition print
    A rare (I think) 1985 The America's Cup Challenge poster (The Yanks Are Coming!)
    A Thorens (Germany) turntable (but it didn't work when I plugged it in but for the $25 I figured I can get it repaired or sell for parts)
    A big Nikon Labophot -2 microscope (no cord but should be easy to get one; again for the $28 I paid I can sell it for parts if needed)
    & a big - but beat up - Superman bust
    And a 1999 Bratz (girl's cartoon show) purple low rider bicycle

Just wanted to show you the art that I'm hoping I sell most of at my garage sale this week-end because I've been spending a lot more than I've been making! (computer photo software freezing up so I can't post other photos - sorry)
    And I only have one question! The 1985 America's Cup poster 'The Yanks Are Coming'- is it as rare as I read?

Thanks!

ART POSTER VARGAS ALBERTO 1AA.JPG ART POSTER VARGAS ALBERTO 7AA.JPG ART POSTER PICASSO LIMITED EDITION 1AA.JPG ART POSTER PICASSO LIMITED EDITION 5AA resized.JPG ART POSTER AMERICAS CUP THE YANKS ARE COMING PERTH 1A_AA.JPG

2. journeymagazine

Brarz low rider & Superman bust (+ a life size star wars storm trooper figure I actually forgot about when I was writing above!)

bratz bicycle.JPG

MICROSCOPE & THORENS TURNTABLE - COULD IT NOT WORK BECAUSE IT'S A AMERICAN ELECTRICAL OUTLET?

MICROSCOPE NIKKON 1AA.JPG MUSIC TURNTABLE THORENS 1A_AA resized.JPG

judy and charlie cheswick like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

You forgot a life sized star trooper figure!?!

judy and charlie cheswick like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

(And forgot to mention it?!)

Debora

charlie cheswick likes this.
  5. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

That's an amazing run. You need to find a roulette table and put it all on black.

Record player repair is very expensive in my experience. I'd look into a price quote for a Thorens that appears to be in good condition from your photos. I'm more of the picker type who sells as is and leaves repair/restoration up to buyers. If you have the right one, they will pay a good price.

judy likes this.
  6. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Good for you journey

Not many people in life do what they love to do for a living

Your enthusiasm is quite inspiring as well

A life size stormtrooper, my nephew would go nuts !!

7. journeymagazine

Storm trooper was next door in big house (we live in the in laws house next to it because main house is so full of stuff) and trooper was forgotten momentarily.
    PS - it's about 50" tall (so life size for a smaller person sorry!)and has a switch that makes it talk but hopefully it's just battery is low because it's talking v-e-r-y slowly right now!

PepperAnna, charlie cheswick and judy like this.
  8. Silverthorne

Silverthorne Well-Known Member

And thank goodness for that!

9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

BEST WISHES FOR YOUR CROWDED GARAGE SALE! :)

10. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

You had to move out of your main house ? Journey you are a true 5 star picker ! Nice stuff-Stormtrooper Yeah.

11. journeymagazine

Actually the main house was Joy's House; a sober house for girls I opened in my daughter's memory for almost 8 years until the cast iron plumbing that was used when the house was built in the 1950's collapsed. It took over 2 yrs to get insurance to pay the claim (after having to hire a law firm), but during that period we had hurricane Irma come through Miami & now the roof needs to be repaired. So I got the same law firm and we are now fighting to het the insurance company to pay for the roof repairs.
    During this time there was no one living in the house & no income coming in, so I started picking to pay the mortgage.
    The house is a ...bit... full! My girlfriend says I'm a hoarder, but I haven't missed a payment yet!
    PS - I started out buying storage units at auction but the house is so full I go to a couple local thrift stores now (Mon - Fri) to treasure hunt - I can't afford to go to storge auctions now - I'd have to rent a storage unit to keep my storage finds in because the house is so full!
    Here is pic of the living room (bedrooms, etc look like this too (1 bedroom is vintage toys & skateboards, 1 is bicycles, 1 is vintage clothes, etc) and some of the 200+ paintings I've accumulated (last photo is part of bicycle room - I tried to load more photos but the damn photo program on computer froze again!

GARAGE ALE 1AA.JPG
    GARAGE ALE 63AA ART DAA.JPG

GARAGE ALE 4AA+AA.JPG

BoudiccaJones and antidiem like this.
  12. journeymagazine

Here's part of the toy room!
    GARAGE ALE 4AA+AAA.JPG

13. bosko69

Journey-You got an amazing collection.It looks like you could list on Ebay & Etsy full time for a couple years.Undoubtedly there's some gems in your vault.
    Definitely have to get the paintings evaluated-the right piece of art could buy you a couple more houses & some storage containers !

14. bosko69

I like your doggies.Here's to Joy my friend.

journeymagazine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted