Featured Thrift store furniture

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by verybrad, Dec 18, 2022.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I had mentioned on another thread that I was seeing quite a few bargains in the thrift stores of late. Here are a few of the things I have seen lately. I have purchased a couple small items but probably would have bought more if I were still in the business. Kind of hard to watch these things sit day after day.

Eastlake bed. $75.00 Has been sitting about 4 weeks now. Will be reduced further next week.

thriftbed1.jpg

This chest is not dirt cheap but sure is a huge beauty with the original paint. $150.00
    thrifttrunk2.jpg

This MCM dresser is in incredible condition. $20.00
    thriftmcm.jpg

I did buy this oak table for $6.00. Looks like the feet are cut down a little but it is nicely refinished.
    thrifttable3.JPG

This set is now reduced to $75.00.
    thriftset.jpg

Again, not dirt cheap but a relative bargain at $150.00 The only thing wrong is the poorly made replacement drop-front. I may have to buy this one if it goes much cheaper.
    thriftside.jpg

At only $5.00, this does have some missing veneer on the top but is stable. Would make a good paint project for someone. The rocker just behind is over-priced at $20.00.
    thrifttable4.jpg

Another cheap parlor table at $6.00. Think it would be relatively easy to glue the top.
    thrifttable.jpg

More to come in the next post......

2. verybrad

Another bed at $75.00. This one is walnut, renaissance revival period.
    thriftbed2.jpg

I bought this smallish dovetail trunk for $17.50
    thrifttrunk.jpg

Here is a pic of a nearly identical oak marble inset dresser that got snatched up right away for $25.00. Missing a mirror but also refinished like this one. This one appears to have top drawers replace but were original on the one I saw. I didn't have my phone when I saw it, so had to find a similar one to post.
    thriftdresser.jpg

I did buy this empire revival drop leaf stand for $9.00. I had to replace a couple veneer chips on the front.
    thrifttable2.JPG

I also had to buy this wash stand for $18.00. The incredibly nice drawer pulls alone are worth what I paid.
    thriftchest.JPG

All for now. I'll post more as I see them out and about. Feel free to post any thrift store finds you see here as well.

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id happily own many of those.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Speechless that these pieces are unappreciated by the general public.

Debora

5. verybrad

In fairness, some of these are selling rather quickly if cheap enough. Anything over $25.00 seems to sit a bit.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Just for comparison... 'Malm,' an Ikea best seller at $270. "Particleboard" with "solid wood veneer." Won't last long enough to end up in a thrift shop.

Debora

Screen Shot 2022-12-18 at 10.30.45 AM.png

Tonia K, Aquitaine, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you...They are fantastic.

8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Wow, around here, those type of furniture pieces would be hard to find and if one did find them in a thrift shop, they would not be low priced. But again, many thrift shops around here don't realize that hanging onto things forever (when they were donated for free) is not a good idea for a business.

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

One here does that with "designer" jewelry; they don't sell furniture. The jewelry sells one piece here, one piece there over multiple years instead of over a few months. The Fast nickle sometimes being far more useful that a slow dime is a concept that somehow doesn't translate.

If had the space I'd make off with most of that. I'm surprised kids furnishing an apartment/house haven't nabbed it. Even the $20 rocker - you need one if there's a baby in the house.

Aquitaine, Born2it, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Love the beds!
    Problem is, no one wants full size beds anymore. Everyone wants at least queen size, or even king size.
    While full size headboards can be converted to accommodate queen size mattresses, it just doesn't end up looking quite right.

11. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Brad-I clearly remember how 'frugal' you said folks in yr part of the country were,I didn't really get how cheap til now ! Holy cow Bro-don't nobody have internet or Ebay back there-damn.
    You did tell us though....and wowser- how right you were.
    PS-Although if you read what the minimum wage is in some parts of the country plus inflationary fears ?
    PSS- Yeah Bluumz,to seamlessly convert a 19th century double bed into a 'California King' size takes a great eye and hand-esp an Eastlake.

12. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Love those beds! Pitiful prices.

verybrad likes this.
  13. evelyb30

I still use a Full - but there's only one of me in it and a Queen won't fit in the room.

Born2it, Lucille.b, bluumz and 2 others like this.
  14. verybrad

A few more items seen this past week.

Another $6.00 parlor table. This one is poplar. The top is warped and split pretty badly.
    thrifttable5.jpg

Another solid oak dresser. Handles are a replacement. Still a good buy at $15.00.
    thriftdresser2.jpg

Huge buffet. Not much wrong with this one other than size. Only $19.00!
    thriftbuffet.jpg

15. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

16. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I seem to have a thing for dome top boxes in old paint, so would have picked up the blue one you snagged. Late 19th century country I'd say - maybe as early as mid 19th depending on the hinges? Looks like some unfortunate glueing on the top? But I agree the other dome top box is way too much and I don't like the paint anyway.

The other furniture, I hate to admit I see similar going for similar prices or free here in New England and I just pass it by and won't even take it for free because it is way too hard to figure out what to do with. When is the brown furniture re-awakening going to occur?

Born2it and verybrad like this.
  17. evelyb30

It's starting. Kids are figuring out that flatpack stinks and the old wood is a far better value.

verybrad likes this.
  18. bosko69

Brad-I think the pieces in the Portland,OR area would be going for $75 to $500.You're somewhere in the Midwest frm what I recall-are these kind of prices typical back there for smaller towns ?
    PS-Sorry Evely-by 'Flatpack' I figure You mean the Ikea stuff that comes in a box ?

verybrad likes this.
  19. bosko69

Jeff D-Is it mostly just the quality Early American that folks buy in New England ?
    PS-I don't take any furniture even the free stuff.The house's is full & shipping for resale's absurdly $$$. It'd have to be Gustave Stickley,Chippendale or stupidly high-priced MCM to be worth the headache.

20. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

MCM sells here, retail, online, etc. Low end MCM sells as does high end - there is still a market for that. Authentic early american (Empire and earlier) is hard at retail, unless you have a long-standing shop where people who know what they are looking for seek it out - it sits a LONG time in an average mixed antique shop. It also sells here at auction, but needs to be in great condition and auctions are very selective. Skinner was sold to a bigger auctioneer not long ago, and I haven't seen what changes that has made, so probably worth checking it out - maybe it is easier (or harder) now? In any case prices are down (half or less) for authentic pieces, with few exceptions. And there are always some exceptions.

mark737 and verybrad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted