THRIFT STORE HOME RUN?! 2 PAINTINGS BY FUTURE BANKSY(?) CARLOS CALLIZO

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Nov 8, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I saw these at a local thrift store through the window while waiting for it to open & when I googled his name I saw street murals of David Bowie & other cool figures on buildings in Spain, in Paris, & more.
    I also saw something about him being shown in the MOMA in Spain?
    But I couldn't find any of his regular (still large) paintings being sold/had sold, so I don't know what they are worth (1 on his website says to contact them).
    But since I buy everything from a J Emms painting of a Beagle to Chinese factory art - I grabbed these 2 as soon as they opened the doors!

So guys please tell me if I hit a grand slam today!?? Is this guy the next Banksy?
    ANY info on these would be greatly appreciated.

ART PAINTING CARLOS CALLIZO 1A  ZZ.JPG ART PAINTING CARLOS CALLIZO 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING CARLOS CALLIZO NUDE 3AAZZ.JPG ART PAINTING CARLOS CALLIZO 3AA ZZ.JPG ART PAINTING CARLOS CALLIZO 4AAZZ.JPG ART PAINTING CARLOS CALLIZO NUDE 6AAZZ.JPG ART PAINTING CARLOS CALLIZO NUDE 1AAZZ.JPG ART PAINTING CARLOS CALLIZO NUDE 2AAZZ.JPG ART PAINTING CARLOS CALLIZO NUDE 4AAZZ.JPG

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. journeymagazine

Here is back of the man actually - after I got them inside & saved pics to computer & then deleted from camera I realized I used the wrong back photos and had deleted them - so I took these from inside because it looks like a thunder storm is coming (Miami ) - sorry!
    PS - this one says Murcia; which is where the MOMA in Spain is that had his show/display.

ART PAINTING CARLOS CALLIZO 4A_AZZ man real back 1.JPG ART PAINTING CARLOS CALLIZO 4A_AZZ man real back 1AA.JPG

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. journeymagazine

PS - The back photo in first post is actually back of woman/nude painting (fyi)

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I like the way he's done the mans hand !!
    but from 1991.......he'll never be a Banksy, if he ain't already....

aaroncab, Any Jewelry and sabre123 like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very good paintings, journey.:) I like the man best, with that horizontal banding.
    I agree with komo, no Banksy. This is a very 1970s-80s style, which apparently continued into the 90s. He makes slightly different work now, but you can see that it is related to this.
    https://www.carloscallizo.com/
    He lives in Murcia and teaches at the art faculty there.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    BaseballGames and aaroncab like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The other one says "Sin titulo" which means "Untitled." His work is considered Spontaneous Realism (whatever that means.) He was born in 1965. Does appear to be a regional artist. (Murcia, the armpit of Spain.)

Debora

aaroncab likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I won't tell the good people of Murcia you said that.;)

[​IMG]

8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Wonder if 'Murcia' is a self-portrait.

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I like the one with the guy. The woman has a few too many body parts showing for my tastes.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Don't need to. They know.

Debora

1508155988_461861_1508156260_noticia_normal.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. journeymagazine

I like the guy better too - funny he was $10 less than the nude ($59 vs $69) and I initially put the nude back and continued treasure hunting (found a large Star Wars At At figure for $5.95 that I'll sell for $100 on ebay), but as I was going to the check out I kept thinking that an artist with his resume(?) had to be worth more than $69 - and I made a U-turn and went back & grabbed the 2nd one! (I'm addicted to art (and gambling on it) I can't help it!)
    Can anyone find out - or estimate - what these might be worth? Or even an asking price for one?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks all!

judy, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. journeymagazine

Is he also - Carlos Callizo Gutierrez?

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think those are great finds. They both appear to be mixed media. The one of man has what appears to be something stamped on back. Can you post photograph or tell us what it says?

Debora

BaseballGames likes this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

16. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

If your planning to sell I wouldn't
    expect a whole lot of value. Very weird you don't see any of his works for sale. Probably a lot of his work didnt really get that big.

Screenshot_20191108-161130_Chrome.jpg

17. Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

The girl is a very special one - she has one leg much longer than the other.

19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A very reputable auction house. You might want to ask the artist for a certificate of authenticity.

Debora

20. journeymagazine

Thanks all & I will Debora.
    I saw FB - will reach out to him there.

Draft saved Draft deleted