Thrift store oil painting of tribal men need help

Discussion in 'Art' started by Bonnie l Roggensees, May 14, 2021.

1. It is in full color lots of reds. Has signature with Emil...... Very hard to read. Prob bought on holiday in South America maybe???

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

3. Thanks. So do you think mine is a copy they sold there for tourists??

4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

I do not know, sign-up on the link provided and see if there is more information there. I was just lucky to find it.

5. Ok. It's still at thrift store. It may sell tomorrow before I can get back...that's usually my luck. Apparently the thrift store got a huge donation from a family whose parents or grandparents died. So all their artwork has been from their travels all over the world from the 50s 60s and 70s. I'll check tomorrow but I bet it's gone. Lol. Thank you

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

7. Yes I saw that. This artwork is a bit different looking in that it's not full framed....it has blank canvas around it. Not sure how to explain. Lol. It's vintage probably from 1970s. Well framed.

8. Probably a tourism piece or copy of orig oil painting you all found online.

9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The painting you found in the thrift shop is painted as a complete vignette, meaning the image doesn't touch the edges but is surrounded by white. And fyi, I posted the MutualArt work as a courtesy so it was easier for everyone to view.

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I tried to copy that signature (if that's what it is) from the image that James (above) posted, but it's not very readable.....at least not to my eyes.....maybe @i need help or others can take a stab at it!! But I'd also say definitely not the same as the black & white image above.....JMHO!

20210513-EDITED.jpg

i need help likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Just a note: These men are Andean Peruvians of the Quechua (Kichwa) people, they are not tribal. The Quechua are the people who built the Inca empire.
    The Inca empire in green:

375px-Tawantinsuyu_(orthographic_projection).svg.png

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Figtree3, komokwa, antidiem and 2 others like this.
  13. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Thank you, AJ.

Just an FYI, if it were me, I would not return to the thrift to buy this one. Too many copies!

Draft saved Draft deleted