THRIFT STORE SCULPTURE SIGNED NASSON - IS THIS HAITIAN ARTIST JEAN CAMILLE NASSON?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jul 16, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this today at a local thrift store - it looks like a policeman caught someone stealing a goat or sheep? (see star on 2nd man's hat + holding onto 1st man's waistband + nightstick/baton in other hand = police?).

It is signed Nasson - which when I googled that I came up with Jean Camille Nasson; a well known Haitian artist. But none of the sculptures by him that I've found are made from this material (heavy stone /plaster/soapstone?
    But I think the signatures look the same - do I have a Jean Camille Nasson sculpture?
    Thank you!

ART SCULPTURE NASSON JEAN CAMILLE 1AA.JPG ART SCULPTURE NASSON JEAN CAMILLE 1AA_A.JPG ART SCULPTURE NASSON JEAN CAMILLE 2AA.JPG ART SCULPTURE NASSON JEAN CAMILLE 3AA.JPG ART SCULPTURE NASSON JEAN CAMILLE 6AA.JPG ART SCULPTURE NASSON JEAN CAMILLE 7AA.JPG

2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

3. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Totally different work.

Mugzinnys likes this.
  4. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Agree the signature looks like his but his work shown on the internet doesn’t. Maybe ask him if you can or contact a Gallery that shows his work.
    6D3BF968-26A2-47E8-AA69-C5CBC2628D8C.jpeg

5. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Sorry he has passed away: Nasson, Jean Camille (Haitian, 1961 - 2008)

Mugzinnys and Houseful like this.
  6. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I should have checked, sorry to hear that, he should have had many more years to create. I like his work that I saw online in the Galleries.

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Maybe it is a plaster cast of one of his early works? He could have started in this style and go on to develop a stronger, more defined style.

aaroncab, Mugzinnys and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. philippe lamarche

philippe lamarche New Member

9. journeymagazine

Philippe lamarche - do you have a link for that piece by him?
    Thanks

10. philippe lamarche

philippe lamarche New Member

It is mine.

11. journeymagazine

It gives mine more credibility; can you tell me anything about it?
    Thank you!

Draft saved Draft deleted