Featured Thrift store Violin that looks very old

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 916Bulldogs123, Jan 17, 2022.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

All I can say is it looks like it has been through some rough years.
    With a 25% off for the Holiday it was $30 so not a lot of stress over spending too much. There are no markings or tags on or in the voilin itself. The case has a trade mark stamp on the bottom and a name tag on the top reads Donald Paulson.
    Thanks for any and all information.
    Mikey
    weee 315.jpg weee 324.jpg weee 325.jpg
    weee 328.jpg
    weee 335.jpg
    weee 341.jpg
    weee 318.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    johnnycb09, DivasFinds, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Well that's a pretty little thing. That's all I know.

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The trademark is just for the case, with that bull's head. Did you look inside the violin for a label?

4. 916Bulldogs123

yes and nothing but dust.

judy, Darkwing Manor and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The case appears to be FLM Bison Brand and the internet dates similars to the 1910s-1920s.

Debora

6. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

Was there a bow with it? I understand that sometimes they can be worth more than the violin.

7. 916Bulldogs123

Thank you @Debora I was drawing a blank on the Bison. @Joe in PA there was no bow and it is missing some parts.
    Measurements tell me it is a 3/4 size.
    Mikey

judy and Debora like this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

9. 916Bulldogs123

So if the case is over 100 years old. How do you ID a violin with no name?
    Mikey

10. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

If no response here, are there any places near where you live that do instrument repairs? We have a music store and in the back they do repairs on stringed instruments. Could be an idea to bring it to a place like that. You may not get complete information, but possibly someone could give a likely age range or whether further research is warranted.

The case looks older than the hills for sure, but always possible the two didn't start out together.

I think it will come down to the quality and someone who handles violins may be able to determine that in a few minutes.

11. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Many music stores with repair departments will not have the resources you need; I'd strongly suggest taking it to an accredited violin shop; you can find a list in the "members" section of https://www.afvbm.org/ (the American Federation of violin and bow makers). If none are close to you, another music store might be able to provide some insight; but online research via photos won't work for violins, generally.
    (As an example of the expertise of real experts, I once approached an accredited dealer's booth at a music festival, with an old no-label violin I'd bought; from three feet away, without even touching the instrument, the person at the booth said "I see you have a nice old violin made in Markneukirchen."
    When asked how he knew, he pointed to the distinguishing characteristics - but I personally would still not be able to recognize that school of makers - but at least I now know were my violin was made, and that it is worth what I paid.)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  12. Janice Nicholls

Janice Nicholls Active Member

I don't know much of anything about Violins. My Dad had one and sold it in the early 1960's in England. A young couple came to the House and paid a tidy sum for it. It did sound very pretty! I know, I am babbling on about nothing!

Draft saved Draft deleted