Tiffany & Co Mexico? Silver Pots

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ratsy Brown, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

Hello

Another query from this week's finds. Little basket weave pots, marked Tiffany & Co Sterling Mexico.

I didn't know Tiffany had Mexico silver marked in this way, but some googling shows some other pieces with similar marks. So...genuine?

Couldn't find any pots like it online.

4.5cm height, 4.5cm rim width, total weight 89.8 grams.

PXL_20210822_170822161_compress26.jpg PXL_20210822_170838773_compress74.jpg PXL_20210822_170926777_compress82.jpg

Any Jewelry and ulilwitch like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

They're not "pots" (too many holes in the basketry.) They do look like waste baskets.

And no I have never seen Tiffany made in Mexico, but that doesn't mean they don't exist, though.

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Surely, a company as prestigious as T&C wouldn't simply just mark their pieces "Tiffany &..."

Right?

They'd do it properly. Tiffany & Co. or T&CO or Tiffany & Company.

5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

4.5 centimeters equals 1.77165 inches so these are likely just something decorative but I agree with @Shangas. I would be very suspect of that mark until I could find other legit pieces marked in the same way.

6. i need help

The Seller from RL doesn't represent theirs as Tiffany at all. I would think they would if they believed it was.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Those are so chic. What does it say after "Tiffany?" I can't read it.

Debora

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The bottom is so "busy" I didn't notice. But Shangas has a point!

9. i need help

This one is more clear. Just Tiffany &. E4B73936-1A23-4DAA-A441-09902AFB8AE8.jpeg

10. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Unless there really is a company called "Tiffany & Sterling"?

Which sounds like the biggest ripoff company-name ever.

It's like saying "We have a new burger-joint! It's called White-Castle-King of McDonalds!"

I have seen genuine silver Tiffany pieces marked: "Tiffany & Company", "Tiffany & Co.", and "T&CO".

But not just "Tiffany &..."

If those are genuine Tiffany, then I'm a peacock.

bercrystal and Ratsy Brown like this.
  11. Ratsy Brown

Thank you all for your input.

I have found two more links that might be of interest. A dead picclick link, with no photo of the mark but the description matches my mark, sale price was well above scrap. The second is for another dodgy Tiffany Mexico mark, slightly different again though. Both links below.

I will list it as possibly Tiffany & Co on auction and report back with results.

https://picclick.com/Vintage-Tiffany-Co-Mexico-Gilt-Sterling-Silver-202518680906.html

https://www.andrewjonesauctions.com...mexican-sterling-silver-gilt-botan_5E84704A36

bercrystal and ulilwitch like this.
  12. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

I found this on Chairish tiffany2.jpg tiffany1.jpg
    Tiffany & Co. Janna Thomas Vintage Sterling Silver Gold Vermeil Potted Peony
    $725

Description
    Janna Thomas for Tiffany & Co. Sterling Silver potted Peony flower with gold vermeil. Potted in a basket. Makers mark … more

13. Ratsy Brown

The plot thickens...

14. Ratsy Brown

@ulilwitch searching with the name Janna Thomas I am finding a few pieces with very similar marks. Shame there's nothing official about the mark, I worry it's one of those internet non-facts.

KSW and ulilwitch like this.
  15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I can't imaging "Tiffany" would want "this" even connected to them in any way.....the logo on the bottom I'm referring to.....pretty messy IMHO......did anyone think to contact them....the OFFICIAL Tiffany????

TIFF LOGO-.jpg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    KSW and komokwa like this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with those marks. Logomania is a 1980s phenomenon when the design world was inundated with cheaply made knock-offs from China.

Debora

reader and KSW like this.
  17. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Is this photo from the OP's photo? If it is the mark is a fake,the piece was cast from a mold and I have never seen a cast Tiffany mark.

smallaxe, Aquitaine and bercrystal like this.
  18. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

There was a lot of silver junk, some of it real silver, some not, being sold on the streets of NYC back in the 80's marked Tiffany. Without knowing more, I would assume this is of similar background (cheap to make, small, easy to close up your display suitcase and whisk away if the cops were coming).

bercrystal likes this.
  19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would think these are a bit earlier.

Debora

reader likes this.
  20. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

In the early 1990s, I bought a pair of sterling earrings in the NYC Tiffany store. Lost one, still have the other. It’s marked
    Tiffany & Co
    Mexico

Draft saved Draft deleted