Tiffany marks and lack thereof

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by dcfirebottle, Aug 27, 2019.

1. dcfirebottle

dcfirebottle Active Member

Tiffany-Ruby-Clips_160x.jpg th.jpg I read a post here that Tiffany is always marked with their symbol.. period. The piece I own is identical to the examples I've posted. The one obviously has different stones but the piece is the same. The difference is that mine aren't marked Tiffany & co. You can find my original post by typing "Questions about an old brooch" in the Antiquers search engine.
    Mine has a serial number of some kind engraved on it and can only be seen with a lupe. Did the mark possibly wear off? A copy? The 14k mark looks exactly the same as the examples and in the same places. Same number of stones... Just my luck, I swear.

Attached Files:

• th.jpg
      th.jpg
      File size:
      9.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    KSW and Xristina like this.
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

3. wiscbirddog

and could you please go back & edit show these new photos "full image".

KSW, kyratango, Jivvy and 1 other person like this.
  4. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I would SWEAR on a relatives grave that all Tiffany is marked...............

EXCEPT

I have a Tiffany Peretti ballpoint pen that has NO markings at all. I purchased it at Tiffany and so have been mildly PO"d for years.....except that NO ONE has a Peretti pen with fineness markings or a Tiffany mark....................go figure...................

That is all I can contribute to the question............that is, another question..................

KSW, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I do.(LOL) It's a ballpoint with one of those pocket clips rather than the "lady's" version that omits it. The mark is on the underside of the clip.

KSW, judy, Any Jewelry and 4 others like this.
  6. Mansons2005

DCfirebottle - Forgive me for taking this TEMPORARILY off topic - Evelynb30 - Yeppers! There it is....................maybe someone needs to tell the 300 or so sellers that there IS a mark - Thanks for pointing it out.not that it does me any good at this point. There was a time I could have used the $, no matter how meager, but these days I just use it happily and plan to continue doing so. Thanks again

And once again. DCfirebottle, please forgive me.............but now I can say with conviction "I SWEAR on a relatives grave that all Tiffany is marked"

7. evelyb30

(LOL) It helps that it's sitting right next to me to check!

8. Mansons2005

Mine sits in the pen tray approx 2" from the hand that guides my mouse - and I must use it a dozen times a day.............never occurred to me to look in such an out of the way place.

KSW, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  9. dcfirebottle

If it was a copy, why would the maker go to the extent of making it exactly the same as the Tiffany piece, but omits the tiffany mark? I don't buy it.

KSW, judy, KikoBlueEyes and 1 other person like this.
  10. Mansons2005

That is a valid point - though I don't have an explanation for it..........

KSW, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

You can swear...... well it's not true that Tiffany jewelry has always been marked. Years ago the company I worked for was asked to modify a chain on a custom made Tiffany chain and pendant. I guess the owner of the piece didn't trust Tiffany and didn't want to sent it to New York.The piece was photographed and photos sent to Tiffany's for verification. It was verified as a custom piece made in 1932.

KSW, judy, Marko and 3 others like this.
  12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

13. dcfirebottle

I wonder if that service is still available? Maybe I'll contact Tiffany's in NY to check. They're the only one who can truly verify it.

KSW, judy and Bronwen like this.
  14. evelyb30

Those fur clips are signed; I can see it from here. They used to verify things but for $$$; it's not worth the effort for most things.

KSW, judy and Bronwen like this.
  15. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Can you show us the back of yours? The red Tiffany fur clips have a safety catch, something I have never seen on a fur clip. Wait, I went to your old link, so do yours!!! Do you think the Tiffany marks wore off from the person wearing them? It happens.....I would definitely contact Tiffanys in NY.

KSW likes this.
  16. wiscbirddog

The pic (purple ones) that Bronwen posted aren't the ones that dcfirebottle has (blue)

KSW likes this.
  17. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Do you want to post the serial numbers? We are loving this mystery!

KSW likes this.
  18. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Yes, I went to DC's old link and he has exactly the same safety catches on his set!

KSW likes this.
  19. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

DC.JPG The back of DC's clips from his old link
    DC.JPG

KSW likes this.
  20. wiscbirddog

Sorry my comment was to evelyb30 about the Tiffany mark not your mention about the clips (safety catches) Marko.

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted