Tiffany paperweight...real or fake?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sassafras, Jul 11, 2018.

1. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

This is another piece from our family member's estate. The house is packed full of Tiffany, Lalique, Steuben, Daum, Waterford, etc. She only bought "the real deal" and was savvy about knowing her stuff.

We know she's had this paperweight for over 30 years, but I don't think this is "old" Tiffany. The shape, signature style, design and feel of the glass all feel much newer to me. All of the newer pieces I'm finding have an acid etched mark on them. Is this a real Tiffany paperweight or did she get duped on this one?

DSCN6138_25121.JPG DSCN6141_25124.JPG

2. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

The modern signatures I've seen on Tiffany & Co. paperweights has been a stencil, block letters.
    That's not to say your's isn't correct. Wait for other opinions.

Figtree3, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

That's Chinese Tiffany. Very crude.

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. sassafras

Thank you both for your help!

Is Chinese Tiffany done by a company who fraudulently signs the Tiffany & Co name to a piece with the intent to deceive or are they authentic (but lesser quality) Tiffany & Co items manufactured in China?

5. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

A Dale Tiffany had glass made in China to sell with the Tiffany name. Supposedly he did the designing.. He is elated some way to Louis Tiffany. If memory is correct Dales stuff dates for circa 2000.

Figtree3, clutteredcloset49 and judy like this.
  6. sassafras

Thank you so very much for that info, George. This board is wonderful!

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted