Featured Tik-Tok Of OZ...L.Frank Baum.....Books Of Wonder???

Discussion in 'Books' started by SPERLS, Oct 27, 2017.

1. SPERLS

SPERLS sperls

I wonder how "Books of Wonder" is able to publish & sell identical reproductions of ALL the OZ books???....I picked this up...Copyright 1914 & exact similarities to its 1st edition......Or maybe this is a 1st???..LOL...In my Dreams! IMG_0475.JPG IMG_0476.JPG IMG_0478.JPG

2. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Tik-Tok's copyright has expired; it entered the public domain in 1990.
    Here's a lengthy article on the US copyright status of the Oz books and movies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyr..._of_Oz_and_related_works_in_the_United_States
    "Currently, twenty-three Oz books and five movies are in the public domain. Nothing else will enter the public domain until 2019 at the earliest."
    Due to changes in US copyright law, some later books by other authors will remain under copyright until at least 2085; the famous 1939 movie "The Wizard of Oz" will be under copyright until 2035.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    Houseful, KingofThings and SPERLS like this.
  3. SPERLS

SPERLS sperls

Thanks....Another dream shattered!!!....But worth the $2.50 I paid for it!!..Should be a good read!!

4. SPERLS

SPERLS sperls

One more thing all_fakes....Are these exactly the same or did they have to make minimal changes?

KingofThings likes this.
  5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

LOVE IT!!!
    :)

6. all_fakes

When the copyright is gone, it is gone. The book can be republished in an exactly identical form.
    They can if desired make changes, without consulting the former copyright owner, so there is no guarantee that it is identical, of course.
    But in most cases where copyright has expired and the book has been reissued, the re-issuer will want to make it identical, to cater to all the potential buyers who couldn't afford the original.

7. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

What makes you say your book was printed/published by "books of wonder"? Maybe i'm missing it, but I see no mention of that in the photos provided.

According to the booksofwonder website, they are just a book store that sells new and collectible/rare books.

8. SPERLS

SPERLS sperls

They may not be the publisher....I thought they may be (According to my book...Publisher is Reilly & Britton)...Books of Wonder does sell it....Don`t know who printed it???...Does not say??

9. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Well, to me, your book looks like an original edition published by Reilly & Britton. Nothing to do with Books of Wonder. Does it have color illustrations?

cxgirl, yourturntoloveit and SPERLS like this.
  10. SPERLS

SPERLS sperls

It does look original to me,also!...Has the color illustrations & the color maps on inside of front & back covers....That is what confuses me!....These are what "Books of Wonder" sells on their site http://booksofwonder.com/theworldofoz.aspx

cxgirl and yourturntoloveit like this.
  11. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

As has been said in the above posts, they are just recent editions published by some company. Not sure how faithful they are to the originals, but I really don't think they'd advertise the original publisher over their own company.

You could have a decent book there. You'll have to find out the first edition points. Go search for first edition listings on ebay/abebooks/wherever and compare them to your copy.

12. SPERLS

SPERLS sperls

Thanks,Kronos...I will do more research!

13. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

such a beautiful book!! love it.

14. FREDERICK TRUST

FREDERICK TRUST New Member

Well. My specialty are Wizard of Oz books and I am running a website www.rareozbooks.com. This book is a recent reprint from collection of 15 books that were sold by Bradford Exchange. This copy looks like an original first edition with all the plates and maps pasted as an end papers. After examining both copies original and a reprint, I noticed main difference that original copy has books belong page, while reprint does not has. Also in copy that I examined has a map pasted upside down on the rear. Of course all the plates coated with glossy paper on both sides while an original copies are glossy only on one side. I hope it helps.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Kronos likes this.
  15. all_fakes

As others have said, more research might be needed to distinguish an original from a reissue. I believe the William Morrow/Books of Wonder reissue was published in 1996, but I'm not familiar with the distinguishing points - and there may well have been other reissues, since the copyright expired in 1990. The first edition indeed had maps, and I don't know if any reissues had them.
    Id guess that the reissues have some identifying features, whether they have maps or not; but lack of identifying features would not be a copyright violation - though there might be other legal implications.
    I was focusing on the original question, "How can Books of Wonder publish identical reproductions?" Answer: "Copyright expired."

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    Houseful and yourturntoloveit like this.
  16. FREDERICK TRUST

FREDERICK TRUST New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted