Tin Glazed Earthenware Plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John Brassey, Jun 18, 2020.

1. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

This is another eBay buy (busy eBaying day yesterday)

It looks to be delftware.

I found a similar one on the saleroom sold here in England as continental and another on Worthpoint sold on eBay as 19th century and of unknown origin.

There is also this one for sale on eBay as English and likening it to a piece in the book on British Tin Glaze (which I have ordered).
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273797798908

Does anyone have any thoughts? My feeling is that it could possibly be English but untii I see the book I won’t know how similar it is.

Thanks in advance

John 2984B231-4053-4B14-AA1A-3A8566971C0C.jpeg ED358CBA-5787-4DD5-A366-E14B92593CD0.jpeg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Which book are you looking for? I have quite a few. My gut says 19th C maybe Spanish but I'd have to go look too.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. John Brassey

This one. I ordered it for a few pounds. The eBay seller in the listing I linked to says that a similar one is in the book but I suspect it will be different.

5A0346F5-7950-414D-A71D-841AF955121A.jpeg

5. say_it_slowly

I don't have that book but I did flip through these. If it's a good book let me know;)

The only one sort of similar from this stack doesn't seem right though I'd understand the thinking (it's the deep dish description in the black and white photo). It's from English Delftware Pottery in the Robert Hall Warren Collection Ashmolean Museum Oxford by Anthony Ray.

I find the Spanish one from the book Maiolica Olé by Lister more interesting and certainly close to the other link you provided. I believe I've seen some even closer to yours though don't know how reliable the sources (or where I've seen them actually.)
    upload_2020-6-18_9-17-30.png

upload_2020-6-18_9-17-51.png

upload_2020-6-18_9-18-18.png

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    John Brassey, Any Jewelry and Sandra like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

blooey and say_it_slowly like this.
  7. say_it_slowly

LOL look at that!

John Brassey likes this.
  8. John Brassey

Thanks for the help with this. I’ve only been a member for a few weeks but the extent of knowledge on this forum is extremely impressive. Very grateful. I think the seller with the plate listed for over £700 is likely to struggle.

komokwa likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

This one, right?

s-l1600.jpg

This one was on offer on a Spanish auction site for 85€. Just checked and still no takers. I do think all Manises but not knowledgable about Spanish pottery to state definitively. (Seller in Barcelona though and suspect hasn't strayed too far from home. Or Valencia in this case.)

47866930.jpg

Debora

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted