Tinned Copper - Age and Origin?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Mat, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Hi again, I have this tinned copper bowl, height is 22 cm. Where do you think it comes from, and how old is it? It seems to be from an Islamic country? Thank you!

tc1.jpg tc2.jpg tc3.jpg tc4.jpg

cxgirl, Jivvy, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree. Which doesn't necessarily mean the maker or owner were Muslim, but it is the general style. My very broad guess would be either Arab Middle East, or Arab-influenced North Africa.

@santiques probably has a better idea.

cxgirl, judy, sabre123 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Thank you Any Jewelry, I was thinking maybe Turkey or Ottoman Balkans, but I am still searching for similar pieces...

cxgirl, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

You never know. It has a rustic look. Ottoman Balkan pieces can look very rustic, even more so than some Turkish pieces.

cxgirl, judy, sabre123 and 1 other person like this.
  5. gerspee

gerspee Well-Known Member

6. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Thank you gerspee! I do not think mine is that old, maybe 19th c...

judy likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Lovely though it is, it doesn't have the refinement of Persian or Syrian copperware, imo. I have never seen this rustic craftsmanship from that specific region. The examples in Ger's google search are all much more refined as well.
    I think it was made elsewhere, maybe your thought of possibly Turkey or Ottoman Balkans is closer to the mark.

The beautiful brass tray you posted earlier has Persian finesse.
    This is another style, but also the usual Persian finesse, a Qajar tinned copper plate:
    upload_2019-8-9_11-40-4.jpeg
    upload_2019-8-9_11-42-13.jpeg

cxgirl, Jivvy, Mat and 1 other person like this.
  8. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Beautiful dish! Someone suggested Central Asia for my bowl, that is a promising idea, too, IMO...

9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Comparing the little "talent" and experience of the chaser of the bowl and the artistic work and chasing of an experienced chaser is a lost cause.The design on the bowl looks like it was traced onto the bowl and it was given to a beginner"apprentice" to do the work.

10. Any Jewelry

Thank you!:)
    I did consider that too, and promptly forgot about it. Central Asia was part of the general Persian area. I wouldn't look at the 'high' cultural regions, like Uzbekistan, but the more tribal cultures.
    I used to have a Turkmen pendant that had a similarly engraved rustic decoration. It had a row of rather chunky peacocks you wouldn't want to mess with.;) I can't remember which of the Turkmen tribes it came from, there is a difference in images and craftsmanship between them.

cxgirl and judy like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Not when the general standard in Iran is pretty high, as you can also see in the jars Ger found on google. Looking at a region which has a bit of Persian influence but is not Persia proper is a better idea imo.

cxgirl and judy like this.
  12. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

That would be like comparing an orange with a tennis ball. With out training and experience no one could get the quality of the plate,the bowl is simple if the chaser had a traced design to follow. Can you draw a 6 inch straight line on paper without the use of a ruler? Read this person's experience .... http://www.moonmetalsmithing.com/about.html

13. Any Jewelry

Rather a strange question to ask of a person with known considerable neurological damage, but ah well... Different people have different values.
    Of course I never looked at inches, obviously, given my location, but I used to be able to draw a perfect circle, if that is good enough for your standards.

You may want to look at different art forms in different parts of the world. And at Iranian art and the government controlled standards they have maintained during the dynasties of the last 200 years or so.
    I tried to explain this before, since it is relevant to Mat's item, but you want to make an entirely different point. Since the tone has changed I will leave this thread. This is not the way I wish to communicate.

cxgirl, judy, Mat and 2 others like this.
  14. CBri

CBri Member

If I had to guess, maybe Turkey or Iran. Nice piece. I have a fairly ornate, heavy tinned copper lidded piece that I can’t seem to turn loose of. This looks like something to hang onto. :)

Figtree3, cxgirl, Mat and 1 other person like this.
  15. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Thank you CBri!

judy likes this.