Tintype photo... possibly Doc Holiday? Or Not?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Virdendale, Jul 10, 2018.

?

Is this Doc Holiday???

1. Possibly? Maybe?

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Not even close!!!

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Virdendale

Virdendale New Member

20180710_201237_1531271746424.jpg DocHolliday-2-275.jpg Another tin type photo... from researching and researching is it just me or does the look like he could b doc holiday? Either way doc or not this photo is old n interesting! Love the old stuff! DOES THIS man look like anyone yall know?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    anundverkaufen likes this.
  2. Virdendale

Virdendale New Member

The second picture is something I found online...

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Doc seems to look different in every picture.:confused: One distinctive feature is the shape of his eyebrows. Difficult to see if your man has that shape, but I think it is possible.
    These are all said to be doc Holiday. In his younger years he looked a bit like Heath Ledger.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Hard to believe those are all the same guy -- ears are as distinctive as fingerprints, and unlike other features, never change their basic shape with age (barring major injury) -- but the ears look different in every shot.
    We see a resemblance in general facial shape, but Doc's eyes seem maybe a bit more close-set in Any's reference pics and your guy's nose seems maybe a little broader... hard to say. Tough call.

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Not him, would be my first thought. Your picture is too blurry to make much of a comparison.

6. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Closer to Bat Masterson -- the hat was his trademark -- although probably not him either...

7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I'm looking at the ears. Doc's stood out on the top. Your guy's are against his head.

Jivvy likes this.
  8. Jeremy Paul

Jeremy Paul New Member

I have a photo taken during same setting and beleive it to be infact Doc. The photo was taken around Bartlesville Oklahoma as Doc was making his way west to Tombstone in search of dry climate to ease his lung condition. While in Dodge City Kansas Mr Holiday may have become aware of a rich oilman Frank Phillips that would not only wine and dine passing outlaws but also provide safe lodging at his Woolarock wilderness retreat lodge. High stakes card games with other oilmen that had more money then ability at cards sounds like nothing but a good time for Doc and Bignose Kate. Plenty of booze and nothing but the best cuisine. Movie stars, politicians, land barons and who's who of the passing through spent time in the outlaw rolling hills and caverns nearby. Plus the safest way across the mountains to his next adventure in silver town Tombstone. Frank Phillip's was well known collector of such pictures and some have been known to be called the "lost photos" of Frank's outlaw collection. Mr Phillips founder of Phillips 66 would love to show these photos off and even give away some to friends or lose them in a game of chance. I have a few such photos that were closely guarded and kept in high esteem over the years that originated from Frank and given to the family of one of his closest friends, businessmen /one of his vice president of his oil company.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Doc Holliday died in 1887. Frank Phillips was born in 1873 = only 14 when Doc died. I'm afraid that your story cannot be true. In addition. Phillips did not found his oil company until 1917.

10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

And according to woolaroc.org, "Hidden away in the rugged Osage Hills of Northeastern Oklahoma, Woolaroc was established in 1925 as the ranch retreat of oilman Frank Phillips."

Interesting trivia:
    "The name WOOLAROC is derived from three words—the woods, lakes and rocks that make up the beautiful Osage Hills of northeast Oklahoma where Woolaroc is located. The name was originally intended for the rustic Lodge ranch house, but it was so unique that it soon became the name for the entire Frank Phillips ranch."

11. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

And now post #8 is out there on the innerwebs so it is fact

12. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Jeremy may have gotten all that somewhere else on the web. But you are right, Terry.

13. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

The feature that jumps out at me in the OP’s photo is the subject’s very long neck. I don’t see anything quite like that in the photos below it.

anundverkaufen and Christmasjoy like this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2020-2-5_23-27-8.jpeg

can't say these ears look the same..

15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

They say the ears never stop growing.....Kirk was maybe living proof!!!?

16. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness... if we had to just use ears as proof!??

17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@morgen94, To me what jumps out in the OP's original post image, aside from the long neck, if you click on it to enlarge is the fact that the NOSE doesn't look original to the picture, IMHO!!!! Size and coloring are off!!!!

18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Maybe this one?
    [​IMG]

Although judging by the costume this would have to be one of his ancestors.:confused:

Draft saved Draft deleted