Tiny Hobnail Tumbler in Clear Glass - Who, When?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Sep 6, 2017.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello my Board Buddies - I have researched everywhere I can think of but can't seem to turn up this little tumbler. It stands only 2 3/8" tall, 1 7/8" across the top, and 1 3/8" across the bottom. It's a bit small for even a juice glass and I've tried researching childrens' dishes to no avail. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!
    Don

IMG_20170906_115816199.jpg IMG_20170906_115609940.jpg IMG_20170906_115615563.jpg

2. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Maybe a shot glass or cordial?

yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I swear that looks like one of those jam jar giveaways.Were it bigger,of course.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  4. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

The rim loooks like it would hold a metal lid. To me it looks like packers goods made to be filled and sold with spice,, cream cheese etc. The container would yen become a glass for juice etc. Like a swanky swig..

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I found several online, but only listed as vintage or depression glass. No maker.

I was searching Jeannette and LE Smith with no success.

Johnny might be correct in that it came with a food item, but not jam, too small.

6. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

I saw some online accredited to Hocking Glass-Hobnail, the upper rim is the same, but my DG book shows Hocking's smallest tumbler with a squared shape where it meets the base.

7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your comments. A cover makes sense. I thought maybe it was a dosing cup as it is so small but it would have to be an individual dose. Other than that I'm stumped as to what it might have held. Might be handy for jello shots! :dead:
    Don

judy likes this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Maybe an individual serving on a train or ship ? or just a sample giveaway?

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I was thinking pimento, cocktail sauce, or something similar. Remember these are from the 40s-60s, items were not sold often in family sized containers.

dgbjwc and yourturntoloveit like this.
  10. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted