Featured Tiny little Kewpie cuties

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by quirkygirl, Feb 6, 2016.

1. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Anyone familiar with Kewpies? I'm not, but these were too cute (even with their damages) to leave in the store ...

What I've learned so far is that they were originally created by Rosie O'neill as cute cupid-like drawings around 1909, with German-made bisque dolls originating around 1912.

These are TINY ... not even 2" high ... and they look like porcelain.

I'm not finding much info on little figurines that look like mine, other than some auction results that did not provide much detail in the description of their lots.

By any chance is anyone familiar with these?

Thanks for any info or thoughts ... :)

P1090119.JPG P1090120.JPG P1090126.JPG P1090123.JPG P1090125.JPG

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

No idea, but don`t spend the Quarter, its a silver one.

3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi QuirkyGirl......I don't believe these are authentic Kewpie dolls. Lack of detail for one. I am a little familiar with them. The fingers on yours are different, and the molds lack quality. I don't know who made yours......some were made in Japan, but that's not my first impression with yours.

http://www.dollreference.com/kewpie_dolls_for_sale.html

I am somewhat familiar with them because I've collected dolls am still associated with an antique shop which specializes in antique dolls. We have sold many of the bisque figurines over the years....many years.

I'm not the final word, and someone else may have a different view.

KingofThings and quirkygirl like this.
  4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Adorable as they are, there seems to be something a tad off about them. Compare with ones listed on eBay, and also with the print versions.

The wings, especially, are vestigial, rather than complete. :)

KingofThings and quirkygirl like this.
  5. quirkygirl

Thanks for that tip, Davey! I could have used this for a prop ... but it might confuse people who don't recognize it ..... :D
    P1090128.JPG

6. quirkygirl

Thank you, Judy - for that info and link ... I'll go check it out.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. quirkygirl

Thanks for your thoughts on these, silver
    Those wings certainly are just little nubbins, aren't they? :)
    I was looking on eBay and couldn't find any which were this small ... oops, no ... I just found this one with a label (seller actually has another similar)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-191...ermany-/151960692245?hash=item2361902615:g:q~

8. judy

judy Well-Known Member

9. quirkygirl

Thanks again Judy ... I saw that one with the raised arm (which must have been more difficult to mold than one with the arm against the body, as mine is)
    That was the same auction that I first came across in my searching, and mentioned (although, not specifically) in my original post ... I wasn't seeing much in their descriptions that was helpful to further my research ... but they sure had a lot of Kewpies ... including this one
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/3412184_oneill-bisque-kewpie-with-a-white-rabbit-nr
    [​IMG]

I'm still looking for examples of later versions that resemble my two little ones.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

It is difficult to tell from photos, but that last photo does bring up questions. If you know of any antique shop that deals in dolls, or if there is a doll show coming to your area, they could offer you a better opinion, having figures in hand.

If you find a definite yes or no, please let us know. I see a lot of "Kewpies" listed on eBay that are not the real thing. I have so many doll books, but none specifically on Kewpies.

11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Even if they're not authentic, they're adorable. :)

12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Too bad about the damage on the one to our right.

quirkygirl and KingofThings like this.
  13. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Judy...
    Hola, and welcome! See how many brainiacs there are here? Including you, now!

14. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Are those blue things supposed to be wings???
    ~
    True Kewpies have wings.... No wings...not Kewpies....as far as I recall....

quirkygirl and silverthwait like this.
  15. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Thank you GaleriaGila for your warm welcome!! :happy:

16. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

The original Rose O'Neill Kewpies were so adorable that they were recreated by quite a number of companies, from quite a number of countries. I used to have some that belonged to my mother, and then I bought some in the 5&10 that had been made in Japan. When television became a normal household appliance, there was a resurgence of Kewpie popularity -- they sat on top and looked properly appreciative of
    Caesar and Coca.

With or without well-defined wings, they are all kewt.

17. quirkygirl

Judy ... Just wanted to thank you again for taking the time to find some examples of the oldest Kewpies for me to look at. I also appreciate that you shared your thoughts on these, since you have experience with dolls.

If I am able to find any new info on them, I will certainly share it. :)

KingofThings and Bakersgma like this.
  18. quirkygirl

Yes ... and so cute for Easter!

KingofThings likes this.
  19. quirkygirl

I know :(
    That little guy lost his head at some point
    But the good news is ... with my less-than-perfect eyesight, from three feet away, I don't even see the repair ;)

KingofThings likes this.
  20. quirkygirl

Yes, teeny, tiny wittle blue wingettes ... wing-nubs :)

gregsglass likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted