Tiny Nude Doll Made in Japan

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by mdlock, Feb 17, 2021.

1. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

Any ideas why and when? 20210217_220401_resize_67.jpg 20210217_220407_resize_9.jpg 20210217_220413_resize_55.jpg

2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Try a search for "frozen Charlotte doll"

Figtree3, judy and i need help like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  4. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

This looks old and is ceramic or clay i guess it would hold up in an oven though. Interesting.

5. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

Why is she holding her boobs?

6. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Maybe because she's freezing???

Frozen Charlotte is a name used to describe a specific form of china doll made from c. 1850 to c. 1920. The dolls had substantial popularity during the Victorian era. The name of the doll originates from the Americanfolk balladFair Charlotte, based on the poem "A Corpse Going to a Ball"[1] by Seba Smith, which tells of a young girl called Charlotte who refused to wrap up warmly to go on a sleigh ride because she did not want to cover up her pretty dress; she froze to death during the journey.[2]The poem originated from a New York Observer article, published 8 February 1840, that described the story of a woman that froze to death whilst traveling in a sleigh to a New Year's eve ball.[3]

Figtree3, mdlock, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  7. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

Creepy lol

SBSVC likes this.
  8. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Painted stone bisque from Japan. I've seen them packaged in a colorful box with others. Maybe came in a set of 6, and. I think, if memory serves correctly, not always the same figure.

I honestly don't know their purpose......I've heard of people using them in doll houses, but I guess @johnnycb09 could help there.

No dollar value...........

9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I see Johnny remembers them as cake decorations...............could very well be................

Draft saved Draft deleted