Featured Tip: very special War documentary

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by springfld.arsenal, Jan 31, 2019.

1. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

”They shall not grow old.” In limited release, certain Regal theaters now. I’ve been told it is a “must see.” Google the title for details, it is a totally new format too. I’ll see it this weekend.

2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I saw a preview for it and I will definitely go. Let us know what you think!

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Black & white silent film brought alive with colour and sound.
    They used lip readers to work out what was being said and used speakers with local dialects and accents.

Amazing.

4. springfld.arsenal

Saw 2d version yesterday, plan to see the 3D very soon. I should be able to catch more of the dialogue next time around, accents were varied and with my hearing loss, my comprehension might have been 30%.

This without doubt an extraordinary work, have never seen anything close to it. Some of the film has never been seen clearly before.

I think many dentists would have difficulty enjoying this film however, and I’m not trying to be disrespectful of the brave men shown, but there’s a relatively high percentage of them that have really bad teeth.

judy likes this.
  5. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, I had seen the promo clip, it is amazing the details, THAT was a lot of work to put together.

judy and daveydempsey like this.
  6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Born into poverty, worked to death, poor diet, lack of calcium and vitamin D, no money for basic healthcare.
    Then repeated in the field of conflict.

But they fought and as the saying goes"Lions led by Donkey's"

Notice no obesity and the officers from wealthy backgrounds have perfect teeth.

LIbraryLady and James Conrad like this.
  7. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

tq. the 3D version would be super amazing.

James Conrad likes this.
  8. James Conrad

Yeah, I'd have to say that's a very correct saying! Especially when one considers that ALL the major european powers sent observers to america to observe the American Civil War. They all HAD to know that infantry assaults against entrenched positions were going to result in HIDEOUS casualties. Donkey's indeed!

9. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

@James Conrad - didn't know that about the observers, much less that the lessons available were not learned.

A pity.

TX.

James Conrad likes this.
  10. James Conrad

Yeah, It's very weird, almost like they thought because they had more men & more trenches it was going to be different? I don't get it, never have.

11. springfld.arsenal

Found out closed captioning is avl so when I see 3D version soon I’ll get that to overcome the dialect/accent/hearing issues.

12. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

Amazing ! I have to take my Dad to see this !

13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Shown on TV here and repeated last week, too. Peter Jackson is a genius.

My pa recalled that when he joined up, there were men in their twenties only five feet and a bit tall. The army fed them properly, and they *grew*.

My only gripe is the title: the line is "they shall grow not old...."

Draft saved Draft deleted