Tips on how to date vintage rings?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Elen Beattie, May 14, 2021.

1. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Hello all, happy Friday! I picked up this little ring in an auction estate jewelry lot. I was wondering if you could give me any tips on how to tell roughly the age of vintage rings (it could be modern for all I know!)? I did test it and it is 14KT, which is nice. I think it has czs or rhinestones and not sure what the main stone is-any ideas? It doesn't appear to be glass but it's not a ruby I don't think (my cheapy diamond tester isn't reacting like it is a ruby). Any help appreciated, thanks :)

image8 (22).jpeg image5 (45).jpeg image6 (40).jpeg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I am not very good at dating recent rings, but it looks 1990-2010 to me. Many of these rings were made in India.
    I don't think the small stones are cz, they could be topaz. The main stone could be topaz as well, but it could also be one of any number of orangey red stones, it is best to have it tested.

Ce BCA likes this.
  3. Elen Beattie

Thanks a lot! :happy:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Agree, also look closely after the 'K' it isn't clear, but it looks like there may be (or has been rubbed) 'R'. This may indicate rolled gold - are there any exposed areas such as the claws or edges that are a different colour and not gold tone? It may just be some odd alignment of marks and nothing at all, but may be worth checking. Note that rolled gold will test as gold unless you file through the coating to the base metal.

Hamburger and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Elen Beattie

Hi, thanks for this! It's actually a 'T' after the 'K', 14KT. I looked under my loupe and I think everything looks to be gone tone, if a little bashed around a bit!

Hamburger and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Excellent, it can be hard to tell from pics.

Elen Beattie likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Pre-loved.;)

Hamburger, Ce BCA and Elen Beattie like this.
  8. Elen Beattie

Yes, apologies that the photo of the mark was at a strange angle! There were 30 rings in the lot I picked up (most not great) and my eyes were looking different directions by the time I had finished trying to read markings :woot:

Ce BCA likes this.
  9. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Haha, I hear that - I spent about an hour using a loupe at an auction earlier today and could hardly walk straight after.

10. Elen Beattie

:hilarious: the effort we put in is real!

Draft saved Draft deleted