Featured To bale or not to bale, that is the question?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Squidsworth, May 24, 2019.

1. Squidsworth

Squidsworth Active Member

Hi all,
    Picked the below painting up today. The question is, is this Australian artist Alice M.E Bale? Looks quite similar to her work, though most examples I can see are signed a m.e Bale. Not all though, a few were Alice Bale. But no A. Bale. It does look quite like her signature though missing two letters! Any ideas?
    IMG-20190524-WA0037.jpg IMG-20190524-WA0034.jpg IMG-20190524-WA0036.jpg IMG-20190524-WA0035.jpg

Christmasjoy, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

If it helps, that's a late 19th C English copper lustre ware jug. It looks more European to me.

judy, Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  3. Squidsworth

I was wondering about the jug so thanks for clarifying. :)

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Squidsworth

Don't think bale would be European surname?

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Aussies came from Europe. ;) It's actually old Norman, that one.

6. Squidsworth

:) thanks for clarifying.
    Have any of you seen Alice Bale work and do you agree minus the lack of all theinitials signature looks similar? Or is it just me wearing optimistic specs?

7. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

My vote is no, the skills just aren't there.

temp01.jpg

judy, Christmasjoy and Houseful like this.
  8. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I agree with Jivvy.

judy, Christmasjoy and Jivvy like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  10. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

It looks from here like the signature was done with a sharpie (permanent marker), in which case clearly not her. Does it look like that up close?

11. Squidsworth

It does look like ct bale style I actually thought that it might be before seeing it in detail.
    I'd probably need to get it out of frame to check signature, you never know it could have been added later to make one think it's possibly Alice Bale. Like the writing in ink pen on the reverse.
    Who knows maybe it's CT bale, with fake signature added. I'll update if/when I take it out of frame

KikoBlueEyes, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. Squidsworth

Ok so I've had it out. Still not sure but paint exists over signature, I don't think it's marker pen though. I've done some nice close ups though. Also a got a bit closer to the work, so you can see standard close up. Something I did observe right in bottom left corner just before signature looks like some letters in green colour, maybe just illusion. Also found a Eva Hillyer print on the frame backing board lol.
    What do you think?
    IMG-20190525-WA0021.jpg IMG-20190525-WA0020.jpg IMG-20190525-WA0014.jpg IMG-20190525-WA0013.jpg IMG-20190525-WA0015.jpg IMG-20190525-WA0016.jpg IMG-20190525-WA0018.jpg

13. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I would do more research before dismissing it. It is possible that this could be an early piece.

Draft saved Draft deleted