Featured To BUY or not to BUY: Bronze book stand from the late 19th century

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bluemoon, Nov 29, 2015.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I was thinking of buying this.

Now, before I even consider spending money on it:

Does it look authentic and complete? How much are these worth?
    What's the function of the small holes in the "solid" middle part?

[​IMG]

quirkygirl, cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It might be there to support the spine on a really big book. When you open a thick one, the spine curves inward and that would probably help hold it on the stand. That's my theory anyway. That was probably made either for a dictionary or a Bible.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't know how much it's worth, but I know it's certainly worth having !

r u sure it's bronze ??

KingofThings likes this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

That's really pretty but wouldn't it have a ledge/lip to hold the book similar to this one? Perhaps that's what the holes are for and the lip is missing??

Are you thinking of buying for yourself or to resell? If for yourself I'm a believer in buy what you love and can afford.

[​IMG]

cxgirl and komokwa like this.
  6. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

How big? What's back side look like? Side view so we can see how it stands up? Give us more info pls.

7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think the holes in the middle might be missing knobs. Pure Victorian ,I love it.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  8. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

If it was me - I'd buy it.

And if I may suggest - such stands as this (and I have seen a few) are more commonly made of BRASS rather than Bronze, or at least, those which I've seen.

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I, for 2, would also love to see more pics....like side-ish view?? Not seeing how it's standing......

cxgirl likes this.
  10. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

11. springfld.arsenal

How beeeeg? Value depends partly on size.

12. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

around 40 x 40cm or 17 x 17 inches.

13. springfld.arsenal

Thanks. I'd say it is bronze based on the fine definition of the casting and some other clues harder to explain. IMO an unusually nice item. Have not seen one this nice for sale. If you don't buy it, tell me where it is available. Very high-class item, something I'd only expect to be homes of the very wealthy, unless it came along with a set of encyclopedias or something.

komokwa and cxgirl like this.
  14. komokwa

I concur.....it's very Hi Def !......and seems to have that bronze patina...

15. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I agree, the holes are probably for additional knobs or a deeper ledge. If they were knobs like the ones on the ends, maybe it was for sheet music since the knobs don't look very deep?

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  16. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Yes, it is a music sheet holder or a 'lecture paper stand' or something like that BECAUSE the lower part where the papers go is only 2cm (0,8 inches) wide according to the seller.
    The only way it could be a book stand is if the holes in the middle are for an additional ledge that keeps the book in place..

Now. How much is the most money one should pay for this in order to stay safe and not lose money if re-selling it? I need numbers.

17. komokwa

This is not a site for valuations , although members may speculate at costs should they wish to.

18. springfld.arsenal

I wouldn't hesitate paying $150 or maybe a bit more but there's no guarantee you'd be able to resell it, it is an odd type of item that no one really collects.

johnnycb09 and komokwa like this.
  19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Usually it's one and done on pieces like this.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  20. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

The seller is asking for 400$.

I will NOT pay huge amounts of money like that on something like this again.. not this time.

johnnycb09 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted