Featured today's find- mexican clamper bracelet

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Kimbert, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Kimbert

Kimbert Well-Known Member

Sharing today's find simply because.... I'm excited about it! I have a little collection of mexican silver pieces, but this is the first piece with a makers mark that I own (Hilario Lopez, I think it's a margot de taxco design?)
    I found for a steal price from someone on kijiji. Ideally it would be a tad smaller, but oh well!
    clamper.jpg clamperr.jpg clamper mark.jpg

Jivvy, wenna, judy and 13 others like this.
  2. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Lovely. Wear it in good health. Post 1948.

judy, kyratango, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  3. Kimbert

another first! Everything else I own is pre 1948 or post 1979, slowly gotta round out the collection!
    Thank you :D

judy, Any Jewelry, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  4. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

5. Kimbert

:D:woot: that's what I said! I jumped when I saw it- jewelry I'm interested in comes up only once in a blue moon on kijiji locally!!

judy, Any Jewelry, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice find !!!!!:)

judy, pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Yowza. I'd be thinking 1960s/70s copy of a pre-1948 design.

Kimbert, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I think it's absolutely GORGEOUS, but why on earth would it say NEXICO?????

Kimbert and judy like this.
  9. komokwa

just a bad punch...

kyratango, Kimbert and judy like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is gorgeous, Kimbert. You can wear it in summer higher up on you arm, that is how I used to wear these hinged bypass bracelets. I don't think they were made to be worn on the wrist.
    Maybe not a first in that sense, although the design is older:

upload_2019-2-21_10-53-32.jpeg

From Bille Hougart's "The Little Book of Mexican Silver Trade and Hallmarks"

11. kactus 100

kactus 100 Active Member

I'm so so jealous! I have a secret collection of Mexican silver - its secret because if my husband knew how much I spent on it..... lol

And I bet I am not the only one whos now looking at Kijiji!!! lol

kyratango, Aquitaine, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  12. Kimbert

Ah I see! Well first thing with the little eagle mark for me! I have a copy of the Hougart's book on it's way to me in the mail that I bought second hand- looking forward to it!

do you mean high up, like on the bicep or higher up on the forearm? I just tried it on my bicep and it covered half the circumference of my arm:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: it looked hilarious! But moving it up my forearm a bit it fits perfectly and looks way better than flopping around on the wrist!! so thank you for the idea! I was a bit dissapointed that it was so floppy, so this is a great way to wear it more elegantly

13. Any Jewelry

That's it!:D Perfect for summer.:happy: Because of the spring in the hinge you don't feel like your circulation is being cut off (I hope).
    Mine was also cheap second hand (most of my books are), and I use it a lot.:)

14. Kimbert

my collection is semi secret- I don't hide it from my husband (cause I gotta wear it all!) but his eyes literally do not notice jewelry on a person unless you point it out so I lie by omission by just not talking about it! lol!

as to kijiji, you never know whats out there! every few days I search vintage in the jewelry and watch category- there is almost always nothing but when there is its great because the price will almost always be lower (or can be bartered with) because the person doesn't want to bother selling it on ebay to get what it's worth! I guess it depends on the city you're in, maybe other places have a more thriving vintage jewelry kijiji scene!

Jivvy, kyratango and judy like this.
  15. Kimbert

Dang that sounds like such a cool look!! I think mine is too small for that (I'm pretty thin so I can't imagine it fitting (almost) anyone that way- it's 2.5" diameter when closed!)

kyratango and judy like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Uhm, I thought you said it fit perfectly higher up on your forearm?:confused:

judy, kyratango and Kimbert like this.
  17. Kimbert

haha I misread! When you said "that's it" I thought you'd only quoted the bicep part! yes forearm is perfect! I don't know why i hadn't thought of it, it's seems to be perfectly intended to be worn there!

judy, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. komokwa

upload_2019-2-21_11-11-12.jpeg

I was thinking above the bicep...

19. Kimbert

judy and kyratango like this.
  20. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Indian Bollywood jewelry from the look of it. They make them from the real deal too, but gemstones and high karat gold are out of my budget.

Draft saved Draft deleted