Featured Today's Finds - Help w/old spanish guitar's name + info on old Escardibul carved chess pieces

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Oct 20, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

These are 2 of the things I found at a local thrift store today - the guitar is beautiful; especially the wood on the back(what is that - rosewood? And the round sides of it's shape; beautiful!) but I can't tell what or where the name is on the label - also is it from Mexico or Uruguay; both names are on the lanel?!
    I also found a case with a complete set of Escardibul carved wood chess pieces. I googled them & they appear to be rare? I also saw there were 5 or 7 different styles but I didn't see mine in google images - does anyone know what style/number mine are?

As always I appreciate any help!
    PS - I haven't photographed it yet but I also found a beautiful 1876 bible!

MUSIC GUITAR MEXICO URAGUAY ACOUSTIC 1AA.JPG MUSIC GUITAR MEXICO URAGUAY ACOUSTIC 2AA.JPG MUSIC GUITAR MEXICO URAGUAY ACOUSTIC 3AA.JPG
    CHESS CARVED WOOD ESCARDIBUL 1AA.JPG CHESS CARVED WOOD ESCARDIBUL 1AAA.JPG CHESS CARVED WOOD ESCARDIBUL 1BAA.JPG CHESS CARVED WOOD ESCARDIBUL 2AA.JPG CHESS CARVED WOOD ESCARDIBUL 2AAA.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Uruguay is the name of the street in México, D.F.

Debora

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The label says:

Cervantes and Garmendia Guitars
    Export Quality

Made in México

Musicentro, S.A.
    Tel. 512 16 32

Uruguay N° 6
    México, 1, D.F.

Registered Mark

Debora

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. journeymagazine

Debora I bow to your incredibleness...again!
    Thank you!

6. journeymagazine

I see many cervantes but only 1 or 2. Garmendias y Cervanties - are they the same? (Because cervantes guitars are $1,000 and up!

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's a legit Spanish-style guitar. Nice score! No idea what it's worth but a friend has me keeping my eyes peeled for one.

8. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I'd call it just a classical guitar, not the same as the luthier Alejandro Cervantes; pretty much just a standard mass-produced Mexican-made nylon-string guitar. Doesn't look like rosewood, possibly some sort of mahogany; likely originally sold in the $100-$200 range.

9. journeymagazine

It has packs/square envelopes of steel guitar strings in case

10. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

That would be a terrible mistake, and though people sometimes try it with classical guitars, those guitars are not built to take the tension of steel strings. This is a normal nylon-string classical guitar; if it has steel stings on it now, you want to loosen them right away.
    And there would be a possibility, or likelihood, that if steel stings have been used on it in the past, that the neck has been warped; string height at the 12th fret should be no more than about 1/8th inch, a bit over 3.5 mm.
    (the strings apparently on it now look like standard nylon strings, with the first 2-3 strings being solid nylon, the lower strings metal-wrapped as usual.) But with a wrapped string it is hard to tell from photos; check the end at the peg-head, and if those lower strings have a metal core, I'd advise that they be loosened or removed, now.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  11. journeymagazine

I don't remember what's on it but I'll check tomorrow - I did loosen 2 that were tight when I first got it - as I was taught by a friend who has bought a few guitars from me; never leave strings tightened on a guitar that's not being used regularly.

all_fakes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted