Featured Today's little finds -coral,Ypres,Mourning hair etc!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Aug 18, 2019.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Some random bits from today. Bought a big box of odds and ends at a car boot sale before it was rained off. Sorted out the modern rubbish and was left with this lot.
    Any thoughts welcome
    Nothing of great value,just little bits of history.
    Thankyou :)

Faux pearls on left but 925 clasp and nice vintage beads on right.
    IMG_7816.jpg

Some old coral beads- no clasp as all loose in the dirt at the bottom of the box, a jubilee/coronation rosette,a crescent moon brooch,some milk glass beads.
    IMG_7820.jpg

Love this Ypres brooch- anyone got a spare P hiding away?, turquoise? necklace-missing clasp but all the beads test as silver. Think it's quite old.
    IMG_7819.jpg

Is this likely to be the unmentionable 'I' word?.Tests as at least 9ct gold but unmarked. My testing skills and equipment don't go further than that!.
    Cute ballerina charms. 9ct gold clasp marked Ciro.
    IMG_7821.jpg
    Filigree brooch
    IMG_7822.jpg
    Collar studs and a random roller skate charm.

IMG_7823.jpg
    Weird big diamanté arch, bone? bead and green enamel leaf earring stamped DA Norway.
    IMG_7824.jpg

What is this?. About an inch long. Gold on the round bit. Maybe part of a watch- sorry clueless!
    IMG_7825.jpg
    Some lovely swirly glass beads with gold glitter in them. All loose in the bottom of the box so no idea of age as no clasp.
    IMG_7826.jpg
    What am I?. Decorative bit flips over. Pretty brooch and leaf earring.

IMG_7827.jpg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Some hair without a brooch in remarkably good nick, a pretty pendant and an old split ring (any approx date on this?)
    IMG_7838.jpg

And just because. Last trains to London Victoria anyone?. Where is Low Level do you think?
    IMG_7839.jpg

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

4. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

http://www.railchronology.free-online.co.uk/GN LNW Jt text.htm
    "[Nottingham -] Saxondale Junction - Stathern Junction [- Market Harborough]: Nottingham terminal moved from London Road Low Level to Victoria from Monday 22 May 1944. Bingham Road station closed from Monday 2 July 1951. Service withdrawn from line from Monday 7 December 1953."

5. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Pretty sure that's some collar stud/cufflink/men's jewelry bit. @Mansons2005 will certainly know.

6. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Looks as if the elderly man and the curled hair are the same size so maybe taken out of a locket?
    The leaf earring may be David Anderson, is the crescent paste? brooch silver? Thanks for posting these, I only came home today with two books after wasting time and fuel at a garage sale.

7. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

What am I?. Decorative bit flips over. - Money Clip with a pressure clasp

off to peruse your treasures further............

Christmasjoy, i need help and KSW like this.
  8. Mansons2005

Weird big diamanté arch - looks like it was threaded into a sash as a waist ornament - thought part of a tiara at first, but closer look dissuaded me.

9. Mansons2005

What is this?. About an inch long. Gold on the round bit. - shirt stud, cuff button, etc.

10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Love that you go straight in to the bit of obscure history rather than the jewellery :).OH and I spent far too long discussing the life of someone to whom the last trains were very important!

11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

You can't change the angle on it and the pointy end is sprung and moves in and out. Is it missing a bit?

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It's a shame someone wanted the gold rather than the history that went with it but at least they didn't chuck the lock of hair too.
    Yep, well done the earring is David Andersen.
    Sorry you had a wasted day. I had to kiss a lot of frogs though to find this lot :hilarious:.
    Edit- The crescent moon is paste sadly And not silver although still a nice thing.

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

WWI memorial brooch from Ieper, called Ypres by the French and Ieperen by the Dutch. Don't ask.:rolleyes:
    yyyesss.:nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::bag:

14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Christmasjoy and KSW like this.
  15. Mansons2005

Nothing missing I can see - it looks like a myriad of studs I have owned over the years - I still have some, but am not due to go up stairs to make the bed for another hour, so I will have to wait until then to get one.

pearlsnblume and KSW like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Dyed howlite or similar stone.

17. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Ah, I see now, you push the pointy bit in to put it through the button hole and then release it :pompous:.

18. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Yes, the horn earrings are elephant ivory, magnificent cross-hatching on them.

19. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It's incredibly clear isn't it. I've never seen it so visible without looking very closely.
    Not sure if it's an earring or what as it's all attached together and would nearly be to your collar bones if earrings.
    Another thing to go into my 'not sure what to do with it' box!. If it's not plated I could scrap the gold but I'm never sure if thats the right thing to do. Is this likely to be old ivory pre ban. Or not.....?

20. Any Jewelry

Most likely not, and you have no way of proving it should it be pre-cites. So tread carefully.:pompous:

Draft saved Draft deleted