Today's thrift store find - a Hand Signed Peter Max!

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Mar 8, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I got to my local thrift store today about 45 minutes before opening as usual (by 15 min before opening there are 20+ people in line!)and I was the first in line. I put ny little stool down to mark my spot & walked down to the end of the strip mall where a 2nd thrift store is, and as I approached I saw they were unloading trucks which was great - usually the manager will let me look/shop early since the doors will be opened until the truck is empty - and after a ok by the manager I looked around but didn't see anything.
    So I asked the manager if I could look at the new art in back if I promised not to get in the way & leave everything as I found it - he told me I had about 15 minutes and off I went!
    Right away I saw the Peter Max poster with the big sharpie signature & my heart skipped a beat(!), then I found a cool sports collage by Erika King that I found out when I googled her & was usually sold to corporate accounts (what a long list of corporate clients she has!).
    And finally I saw a big pink floral painting that looked mid century to me so I added that to the pile and took them to my friend. He looked them over (I held my breath as he looked over the Peter Max!) and then turned to me & said, " $50 for the group"
    I agreed, paid - and also told him I didn't know what he ate for breakfast but I appreciated him letting me in to look /buy stuff instead of sitting in line for an hour, and I gave him $10 & told him breakfast was on me today!
    He thanked me & I thanked him and I went to get my van to load these before going back to the other thrift.
    And that's how I got a hand signed Peter Max today for about $17!
    Here it is + my other 2 finds this morning; I hope you like it/them!
    PS - At the bottom of the Max print it says: Poster reproduction made possible by a grant from data General Corporation? - the original of this was painted by Peter Max at the White House on July 4, 1981; is the fact the posters of the painting were created by a grant from company that sounds like it did business with the government/white house make this any extra special? Or less? (I haven't googled them yet but 1981 was the like the beginning of the computer age, right? maybe they were a data card company - it just doesn't seem like a company that a pop artist would use/let pay for making his posters? Unless these were for government; schools? Government offices art?)

ART PRINT PETER MAX SIGNED LIBERTY 1AAA.JPG ART PRINT PETER MAX SIGNED LIBERTY 5BAA.JPG ART PRINT PETER MAX SIGNED LIBERTY 5CAA.JPG ART PRINT PETER MAX SIGNED LIBERTY 8AA.JPG ART PRINT PETER MAX SIGNED LIBERTY 8AAA.JPG ART PRINT SPORTS COLLAGE ERIKA KING 1AA.JPG ART PRINT SPORTS COLLAGE ERIKA KING 5AA.JPG ART PRINT SPORTS COLLAGE ERIKA KING 6AA.JPG ART PAINTING CARMICHAEL RED ORANGE FLOWERS LARGE PAINTING 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING CARMICHAEL RED ORANGE FLOWERS LARGE PAINTING 2AA.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the inscription says: For Joel, all the best - BUT... couldn't it also say: For You, all the best? (that would make it more appealing to more people!?) :) Just wondering!

Bronwen likes this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Good try, but I really can't see it as anything by Joel. The Corcoran Gallery may have secured the funding from Data General, not Max or the government.

judy and reader like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

First impression of the name on the last is Carmichael.

Bronwen, NewEngland and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted