Today's Thrift Store Find - Are These Real Edward Francis McCartan Nude Bronze Figural Lamps?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Apr 14, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these today at my local thrift store - 1 has a plaque that says Male Candlestick by McCartan & when I looked that up I found Edward Francis McCartan bronze figural lamps like mine - for $1,600; I paid $75 for both of these!
    Are these real?
    Did McCartan lamps have sockets for such small bulbs (3rd photo from bottom)?
    Are they bronze? (They are heavy(!) but I thought that may be because of the marble/stone base)
    They are 21" tall.
    Did I hit a home run?!! (and if they are reproductions, are they worth more than I paid for them?)
    Thank you all as always for your help!
    PS - I maybe have to start looking around more instead of straight to the paintings section!

LAMP FIGURAL BRONZE 1AA.JPG LAMP FIGURAL BRONZE 2AA.JPG LAMP FIGURAL BRONZE 2AAA.JPG LAMP FIGURAL BRONZE 3AA.JPG LAMP FIGURAL BRONZE 3AAA.JPG LAMP FIGURAL BRONZE 4AA.JPG LAMP FIGURAL BRONZE 4AAA.JPG LAMP FIGURAL BRONZE 5AA.JPG LAMP FIGURAL BRONZE 6AA.JPG LAMP FIGURAL BRONZE 6AAA.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

kyratango, smallaxe and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. journeymagazine

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The eBay pair are "after" not "by" which points to reproduction.

Debora

kyratango likes this.
  5. journeymagazine

Well, if they are worth that price I don't mind if these are reproductions, Debora!
    Seriously, if your concerned then I definitely am (but they have to be worth more than the $75 I paid either way, right?)

kyratango likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

No idea about value but... It does appear that the candlesticks have been (widely) reproduced. What do their bottoms look like? The bases' bottoms -- to be absolutely clear!

Debora

7. journeymagazine

Went to take photo of bottoms & saw this - ball says Lug Moreau(?) and around the base it says McCartan?
    PS - Bottoms have a cloth cover over a solid marble/stone base

LAMP FIGURAL BRONZE 7AaA.JPG LAMP FIGURAL BRONZE 7AaAA.JPG LAMP FIGURAL BRONZE 8AA.JPG LAMP FIGURAL BRONZE 8AAA.JPG

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

This that's "Aug Moreau," the signature of a widely copied sculptor, Auguste Moreau.

Debora

kyratango likes this.
  9. journeymagazine

This was on the edge - CM Cartan instead of Mc Cartan?
    And 2nd one is what's on edge of 2nd (woman) lamp - I can't make it out

LAMP FIGURAL BRONZE 8baA.JPG LAMP FIGURAL BRONZE 8CaA.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted