TODAY'S THRIFT STORE FIND - LARGE 'GREY' HORSE PAINTING

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Nov 6, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Found this at the local thrift store today! It's a large painting of a 'grey'? (not a Appaloosa right?) mare strolling through a field & signed by a artist who name comes up when I google it! (not a factory painting this time!)
    Just curious what anyone thinks - it was expensive for the thrift store ($40)?
    Well, one question (sorry!) - I looked at it with a magnifying glass & felt where paint pooled slightly; it's a painting, but why the dark canvas (looking from back) - didn't someone say something about that usually meant a serigraph or something? Again, this definitely is a painting!
    As always I appreciate your thoughts & info

ART PAINTING HORSE GREY MARE B TARSIA 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING HORSE GREY MARE B TARSIA 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING HORSE GREY MARE B TARSIA 4AA.JPG

2. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Looks like it is printed on canvas

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It is a gray, (I think it's probably also a factory painting though.)

i need help, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm going to disagree... That looks like a commercial painting to me. And as to cost, depends what your intention is -- hand and enjoy? or resell?

Debora

5. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I saw the other painting of the cottage by this artist on EBay, it’s odd that the canvas back is grey and yet the stapled edges are white.
    The same skill you need to do good human hands and feet apply to dog paws and horses hooves, these look to be disguised in the long grass.

i need help and komokwa like this.
  6. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

I'm with mark London. There is no brush strokes at all on this when zooming. Print on canvas. Decorative.

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Zero brush strokes. Not a original painting.

Screenshot_20191106-151058_Chrome.jpg

8. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Also if you look on the back of the canvas look at where the paint ends. Is it all one even length all the way around the canvas? Can you take a picture of it?

i need help likes this.
  9. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I see amateur painting.

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

It's a painting. Not sharp blown up because I reduced pixelx to lost. On back edge you can see different stroke length that were probably taped off first

i need help likes this.
  11. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

It's a print on canvas. Send a a picture of the back where the canvas is. There is no brush strokes on the front. Look at the close up of the picture I posted. Post a picture of the back edge like I was talking about.

i need help likes this.
  12. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

From what is visible so far, you could make an argument for either painting or print... I suspect it matters very little.

Any Jewelry, i need help and Jivvy like this.
  13. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I also see amateur work ... Joy.

i need help likes this.
  14. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Nobody would bother to make a print of this.

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

signed with a black marker,,,,,,,,,,?
    even the factory work is signed in paint .!!!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    i need help likes this.
  16. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

17. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'm not expressing an opinion on what kind of picture this is, but there are painting techniques that seek to very intentionally hide the brushwork.

Any Jewelry, aaroncab and Jivvy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted