Todays Thrift Store Old Map Find

Discussion in 'Art' started by Thrifster, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Thrifster

Thrifster Well-Known Member

This is an old map I bought at the thrift store today. It says on the top "NOVA ORBIS TABVLA, IN LVCEM EDITA, A.F.DE WIT."

There is a sticker on the back that is hard to read but I think it says: "Ziehn & Dickmeis Kunsthandlung DUREN, Kolnstr 55/57 Telefon 5673". The Map measures about 23" wide x 19" in height. I've looked up the name but there seems to be a lot of variations or prinings of this map.

Does anyone know how old this map is or anything else about it? Thanks for any info.

HPIM6414.JPG
    HPIM6416.JPG
    HPIM6417.JPG
    HPIM6418.JPG
    HPIM6419.JPG
    HPIM6422.JPG
    HPIM6425.JPG

cxgirl likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

According to my partner, a used book dealer, this map has often been reproduced. The original was a 17th century hand-colored copperplate print. If you look at it under magnification and can see a dot pattern in the colors, it is a half-tone reproduction. If you can't see any pattern it would warrant closer inspection to see the type of printing used and the type of paper.

https://www.raremaps.com/gallery/detail/31345/Nova_Orbis_Tabula_In_Lucem_Edita_AFde_Wit/De Wit.html

https://www.biblio.com/book/nova-or...MI69zro9D63AIVwo-zCh3bQAw4EAQYASABEgIVVvD_BwE

Fid, Figtree3, judy and 3 others like this.
  4. Thrifster

Thanks for the replies. I have looked at the image with a 10x loop and there are no dot patterns, it is definitely hand-colored. There is also no additional writing under the title in this map as there is in the images of the maps on the links you provided. I measured the image again and it's about 22 3/4" wide by 19" in height. Also, there appears to be a reverse image impression in places on it as if another copy was stored on top of it facing the image creating a reverse ghost like image (look at the title for example). This reverse image shows up lightly in a few other areas. I don't think the reverse image was created from being folded as a book copy might be since there is no fold or crease mark in the center of the map. Also, around the border you can see the copper plate impression. I'm including a few more close up images of the map below.

HPIM6430.JPG
    HPIM6431.JPG
    HPIM6432.JPG

HPIM6434.JPG

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    judy, Any Jewelry and aaroncab like this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

We have been pondering the characteristics of your map, from the perspective of it being highly unlikely that it is an early original. The closeups you posted are helpful. The printing looks like it could be produced by offset lithography. Here is a site that provides nice details of various printing techniques:

http://www.mapsofpa.com/article11.htm

More significant is the fact that there is no fold line apparent in yours. According to the descriptions of the originals that we have found, they were produced to be included in bound atlases, and had a fold down the center. A folded map could yield the offset reversed lettering you see in the title of yours. But if there is not a fold in yours, the offset must have been present in the image that was copied to make the reproduction.
    Offset lithography could also produce the "stutter" in the compass lines visible in one of your photos. The plate impression can also be reproduced.
    The type of paper it is printed on would also be diagnostic. Before 1806, any map would be on hand made paper, which should show laid and chain lines. A machine made paper will be very smooth and uniform. (With the caveat that later machine made papers were developed that could mimic some of the characteristics of hand made paper.) I know - it is all very complicated. :confused:

Debora's suggestion that you contact the original gallery is a really good idea.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Thrifster

Hi, thanks for your reply and information. It does not seem to be an offset in the printing process of compass lines or the in the letters LVCEM above the 180 degree line. If you notice in the last image I posted the compass line at the 180 degree line and the letter "L" above it an offset printing would not reverse the letter "L". The light line next to the 180 degree line is positioned under the light reverse letter "L" being consistant with another image the same size of the maps image being placed directly on top of it in reverse or upside down over it perhaps causing the fresh ink to bleed onto the original maps paper I think. I guess it would be possible there was a fold at one time but I don't see the presence of one. I really didn't want to remove it from the frame for a closer look. If you zoom into the 3rd image I originally posted at the beginning of this thread you can clearly see the copper plate impressions outside the border of the mape image. I'm going to look some more at the imag and try to figure out what is going on.

7. Thrifster

May have to end up trying to get information from the original gallery. The framing looks to have been done a long time ago, perhaps mid-century so the records would have to go back maybe 60 years or so.... Just don't think they would have a record handy of something that long ago...

8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

forget it. the people that sold this are either dead or completely gaga. 4-digit tel. no. were in use 40s to 50s.

9. Thrifster

2manybooks, I took the map out of the frame and did a few more close up pictures. It looks like from these images to me that offset lithography (you mentioned earlier) was most likely used to make the map after comparing the image with the images in the link you provided (thanks again). With this in mind the the map would probably have been made sometime after 1875 to mid 1900's would be my guess.

HPIM6447.JPG

HPIM6443.JPG

HPIM6441.JPG

HPIM6448.JPG

2manybooks likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Don't know if you bothered to look at framer's web site but Dickmeis didn't join Ziehn in firm until 1961 so that's the earliest date your map could have been framed.

Debora

Bakersgma likes this.
  11. Thrifster

Debora, thanks for that info. I did look at the site but didn't look at the history page until now. Thanks again.

12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

This map pops up from time to time. It's been sold in decorator shops for decades. Yours might be an older one, but as stated by others, not very old.

Fid and judy like this.
  13. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

let's think a bit historical. post-war and the Germans do what ? they start to produce tourist stuff for American servicemen and tourists. besides this wonderful really antik map from ze 18th c., which is of course one of the few surviving examples - shows up in Düren of all places...
    same with all those cheap prints of Rothenburg, Heidelberg, Nürnberg etc.
    have a look if you find the address... or any address at all...

Draft saved Draft deleted