Toddler vs Hummel Figurines

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by UncleChuckTX, Oct 21, 2016.

1. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

These were given to me at one of our last yard sale stops this afternoon. Apparently this man's toddler grandson decided to "play" with Grandma's figurines. Perhaps he thought the heads and limbs were supposed to come off, like his Lego?

I see lots of listings for the heads alone on eBay, but can only find one for broken figurine parts. Has anyone ever had any success listing mixed lots of these for crafters / repair? Or should I just list the heads, and dump the rest?

Thanks for any advice.

IMG_9365.JPG

lauragarnet and terry5732 like this.
  2. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

First Hummel collection I have ever admired.....................

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

There used to be people who bought broken figures to do repairs.

You might try one or two figurines with their parts, to see if there is any interest.

Lucille.b likes this.
  4. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

5. VintageKaren

VintageKaren Active Member

Poor Grandma!!

On Etsy I found listings for Hummel heads ($6-$7 a piece), but not the other bits. But I'd give it all a try...and do let us know how it turns out!!

yourturntoloveit and Lucille.b like this.
  6. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

They should keep an eye on this kid in the future in case he moves on to small animals.

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Would keep me busy in the cold winter months. My MIL had a grouping of eight or nine little figurines that got broken. She stored them for years until she was moving. I saw the box and took it home. When she moved into her new home I presented her with the repaired figures. She was so amazed.
    greg

8. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

The destruction is almost methodical. I wonder how they got each head off so neatly? Surprised they weren't more shattered. I've never seen anything like it.

I know someone who would make an art project out of this.

cxgirl likes this.
  9. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

By the way, is there a Toddlers Medal of Merit? This kid should get it.........twice.

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

He needs the Medal of Merit with ??? clusters, for service to Mankind above and beyond the call of LEGOs. I'd voted for the next higher medal if those were all Japanese knockoffs. The originals were at least worth something; the only comment I have for the fakes is one word - Pull!

11. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Needed this laugh. TY. :)

cxgirl likes this.
  12. maryislgal

maryislgal Well-Known Member

Whoa---- what a kid !!!
    I would list it as pictured.

13. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Regardless of how I feel about Hummels, I have to admit I was shocked when I saw this. It looks like the kid was pretty disturbed, and further more, why was he left alone for a long enough time to do this?

14. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I'm not sure if these are worth the time to repair these days. Maybe back years ago when they were selling for multiples of what they are today. Saw Hummels selling for $15 each today at an estate auction.

cxgirl and Lucille.b like this.
  15. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Saw Hummels selling for $15 each today at an estate auction.

And, Joe - were they actually SELLING, or just MARKED @ $15? From what I've heard, it's hard to even give them away these days...

Lucille.b likes this.
  16. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

There wasn't a lot of interest. One bidder purchased 90% of them. Same guy has purchased hundreds of them in the last few years at the auctions I've been at. He is always there when Hummels are advertised in the listing. I don't know if he is a reseller or a hoarder.

SBSVC likes this.
  17. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. You gotta admire the kid's determination. He must have been sure that whatever he expected to happen with these poor figurines' heads would happen eventually, if he just kept going. From the way they talked about him, I'm thinking he was 2 years old, max. I don't know what he was thinking, but in a world full of poseable Star Wars action figures, and assemble-your-own toys like Lego and Mr. Potato Head, I can imagine his getting confused. I certainly hope I would never leave a 2-year-old in a room full of breakables, but I know stuff happens. I'm glad he wasn't injured in the process.

I've never been a big baby doll or child figurine fan (Precious Moments, Dreamsicles, ick), so seeing a bag of headless Hummels didn't affect me much, other than sadness for Grandma's collection. But arranging Hummel body parts for the photograph - the severed hands and legs in the lower-right portion - gave me a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach. Perhaps I've been overdoing it with the Halloween horror movies.

pearlsnblume and Lucille.b like this.
  18. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol, good one Mansons!
    I agree, I can't see people bothering to repair them anymore.

Lucille.b likes this.
  19. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Loved this post and the comments.

First the photo. Perfectly displayed and photographed, Uncle Chuck. I had to do a double take. The display almost looked like something I'd see in my local modern art museum.

But agreed, sort of freaky and fascinating all at once. I'm probably reading way too much into this, but it was almost a statement on Hummels.

Following the photo, Manson's comment. Priceless.

Mansons2005 and cxgirl like this.
  20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I think your avatar ....uhhh, says it all !!!:hilarious:

Draft saved Draft deleted